H12

H12

So I’m working on docker-izing a LiveView side-project of mine, and I’m having some struggles with code reloading.

Specifically, when I make changes to a LiveView project file, the app simply won’t recompile, throwing the following error:

** (RuntimeError) could not compile application: docker_example.

You must restart your server after changing the following config or lib files:

  * config/dev.exs
  * config/config.exs
  * mix.exs


    (phoenix 1.5.4) lib/phoenix/code_reloader/server.ex:211: Phoenix.CodeReloader.Server.mix_compile_unless_stale_config/1
    (phoenix 1.5.4) lib/phoenix/code_reloader/server.ex:196: Phoenix.CodeReloader.Server.mix_compile_project/3
    (phoenix 1.5.4) lib/phoenix/code_reloader/server.ex:75: anonymous fn/2 in Phoenix.CodeReloader.Server.handle_call/3
    (phoenix 1.5.4) lib/phoenix/code_reloader/server.ex:262: Phoenix.CodeReloader.Server.proxy_io/1
    (phoenix 1.5.4) lib/phoenix/code_reloader/server.ex:73: Phoenix.CodeReloader.Server.handle_call/3
    (stdlib 3.12.1) gen_server.erl:661: :gen_server.try_handle_call/4
    (stdlib 3.12.1) gen_server.erl:690: :gen_server.handle_msg/6
    (stdlib 3.12.1) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

I’ve been able to reproduce this in a fresh mix phx.new app_name --live --no-ecto project using the following files:

Dockerfile

FROM elixir:1.10

RUN apt-get update
RUN apt-get install --yes build-essential inotify-tools

# Set working directory
WORKDIR /app

# Install hex and rebar
RUN mix local.hex --force &&\
      mix local.rebar --force

# Install nodejs
RUN curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_12.x | bash - &&\
      apt-get install --yes nodejs

# Set the run command
CMD ["./run.sh"]

run.sh

#!/bin/sh

echo "Installing Elixir dependencies...\n"
mix deps.get
mix deps.compile

echo "Installing Node dependencies...\n"
cd assets && npm install
cd ..

echo "Launching Phoenix server...\n"
mix phx.server

docker-compose.yml

services:
  app:
    build: .
    ports:
      - "4000:4000"
    volumes:
      - /app/_build
      - /app/deps
      - /app/priv
      - /app/assets/node_modules
      - .:/app

With those files added to the project root, and after starting the project with docker-compose up --build, making a change to the generated lib/docker_example_web/live/page_live.ex file usually results in a compilation error. It sometimes reloads as it should, but I’m generally able to get it to fail compilation after saving a couple of times.

Additionally, when serving the app with mix phx.server, code reloading works flawlessly, so I’m fairly confident this issue is Docker-related.

Anyone have any idea what’s going on here? I’ve thrown a ton of different Dockerfile & docker-compose.yml setups at this problem to no avail.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

slouchpie

slouchpie

Your given code does not even run for me. I get permission denied error when container tries to run run.sh.

Your general approach seems a bit wrong. There should be a COPY statement somewhere in your Dockerfile. Also you should mix deps.get and mix deps.compile as part of the build.

Try this setup:

Dockerfile:

FROM elixir:1.10

RUN curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_12.x | bash -
RUN apt update
RUN apt install -y git nodejs inotify-tools
RUN apt install -y chromium-driver

RUN mkdir -p /app
WORKDIR /app

RUN mix local.hex --force && \
  mix local.rebar --force && \
  mix archive.install --force hex phx_new

COPY mix.exs .
COPY mix.lock .

# copy the deps in dev environment for faster builds
COPY deps ./deps
RUN ["mix", "deps.get"]
RUN ["mix", "deps.compile"]

COPY assets ./assets
WORKDIR /app/assets
RUN ["npm", "install"]

WORKDIR /app

COPY config ./config
COPY lib ./lib
COPY seeds ./seeds
COPY priv ./priv
COPY test ./test
COPY dev/support ./dev/support

RUN ["mix", "compile"]

# compile deps in test environment for faster test runs when built
RUN export MIX_ENV=test && mix deps.compile

COPY ./run.sh ./run.sh
CMD ["/bin/bash", "entrypoint.sh"]

with a run.sh like this:

iex --sname app -S mix phx.server;

and a docker-compose.yml like this:

version: "3.8"
services:
  app:
    image: app:local
    build:
      context: .
      dockerfile: ./Dockerfile
    ports:
      - "4000:4000"
    volumes:
      - /app/assets/node_modules
      - ./assets:/app/assets:ro
      - ./config:/app/config:ro
      - ./lib:/app/lib:ro
      - ./priv:/app/priv
      - ./test:/app/test:ro
      - ./seeds:/app/seeds:ro
      - ./mix.exs:/app/mix.exs:ro
      - ./run.sh:/app/run.sh:ro
    stdin_open: true
    tty: true

I don’t know why your setup had the problem with config or mix.exs being “altered” but I suspect it has something to do with how your never actually COPY the files during your build.

Disclaimer: there is no one correct way to use docker. It depends on your own needs. What I have provided is good for local :dev environment, local debugging.

Exadra37

Exadra37

For development never use the COPY or ADD command in your Dockerfile, just map the the required folders in docker-compose.yml file. Also using using version 3.* in docker compose is only necessary if your are running the application in a docker swarm, otherwise just stick with the normal 2.* version that are more suitable for normal docker flow in development.

slouchpie

slouchpie

Why should you not COPY the files when building in dev?

Exadra37

Exadra37

Because you then need to rebuild the container each time you change a file, while mapping them in docker-compose.yml always reflects immediately in the docker container the changes done in host.

slouchpie

slouchpie

But if you mount them as volumes, like I did above, then the changes are reflected. You don’t have to rebuild the image.

Exadra37

Exadra37

So why are you then COPY them inside the container?

slouchpie

slouchpie

So I don’t have to build every time I run the container. With my approach, your built image has all the deps compiled and the code from the time you built the image. The dev can add new deps and edit the code and still use the same image because the volume mounting will change what is necessary. Note how I use ro with the volume mounting to get read-only access, so container cannot edit source code.

Exadra37

Exadra37

I don’t have to build every time I run the docker container, because I map the entire app I am working on to the container, thus I have the exact same dev flow I would have if I was not using docker.

Exadra37

Exadra37

I think that at this point you need to run the docker build command again.

slouchpie

slouchpie

Sure, if the deps are new, then you would have to rebuild. But what I look for is the smallest possible "boot"time. I don’t want anything being compiled or fetched just because I docker-compose down to go to the shop for 10 minutes. How often do you actually add/remove new deps when developing? Not even once per day, on average? If you don’t COPY anything during build phase then every time you spin up a new container, you have to fetch and compile all deps and compile the app? That seems like inefficient dev workflow to me. I would rather be able to spin up a new container in 5 seconds. I don’t mind rebuilding for new deps. That is a fair price for me.

Like I said, I think there are different approaches for using docker in dev environment.I don’t think there is one true way. I also don’t think it’s good to have absolute rules such as “never use the COPY…command…[for development]”.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews