JoeZMar

JoeZMar

I am writing a web scraper that I am trying to proxy, but can’t quite figure out how to do it in Elixir.

I am using Hound running on top of a headless ChromeDriver. I purchased some proxy IPs through https://luminati.io and they offer both a chrome extension and a user/password base proxy server.

The webscraper actions comprise of a GenServer that represent a user scraping the web. There is no front end of the app, it accepts commands that are sent to it through a bot I built on Telegram, so when a user sends the login command for instance it triggers the login function of the GS.

At that point the GenServer will change the ChromeDriver session using Hound.change_session_to/2 and then log the user in.

This works great, but now I want to send every request through the proxy server via username and password. When changing the session with Hound, it allows the chromeOptions to be set as well.

    ua = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.120 Safari/537.36"
    change_session_to(String.to_atom(account.username), %{browserName: "chrome", chromeOptions: %{"args" => ["--user-agent=#{ua}", "--proxy-server=http://user:password@proxy.luminati.io:22225"]}})
    navigate_to "https://www.website.com/"

Another thing that I have tried doing is loading luminati’s ChromeExtension that I would be able to use to proxy the traffic through, but I can’t get the extension to load for each session. I downloaded the packed CRM chrome extension and placed it within my priv folder. When the sesion loads it seems to load the User Agent just fine, but the extension never starts.

ua = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.120 Safari/537.36"
priv_dir = :code.priv_dir(:boost_buddy)
change_session_to(String.to_atom(account.username), %{browserName: "chrome", chromeOptions: %{"extensions" => ['#{priv_dir}/luminati/3.2_1'], "args" => ["--user-agent=#{ua}", "--proxy-server=http://user:password@proxy.luminati.io:22225"]}})
navigate_to "https://www.website.com/"

Does anyone have experience using chrome driver with Elixir? With Ruby and Java setting up the extension is typically no problem.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews