hauleth
I have created simple log viewer for your applications. It is not yet published on Hex as it still needs a little bit polishing and documentation, but I thought that it can be interesting for some of you.
Example of web UI:
Repo:
https://github.com/hauleth/lumberjack
While this has some common ground with upcoming Phoenix Dashboard there are some crucial differences:
- This one do not require Phoenix at all. It is implemented in pure Plug and uses SSE instead of web sockets
- This focus only on logs, without any other stuff
- This allows to show logs from different places as well. Currently supported sources are:
- Erlang logger (which is also used by Elixir Logger)
- Socket (for now UDP only)
- Filesystem (quite buggy, but in progress)
The external sources can be useful for example if you want to check out logs of your DB together with your application logs for quicker bughunt or performance monitoring.
For now it do not show metadata anywhere, but the plan is to have a way to view more informations about that log message.
Future improvements:
- Filters for removing unneeded messages from external sources
- Parsers to extract informations from the external log sources
- Search in the webUI
- Maybe add persistence to webUI
- Fix bugs and make the FS source more robust
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
Added few new features:
criticaland above levels are now on highlighted backgroundoutlog
looking great! - could also be of great use on a Nerves device outputting the Ringlogger..
hauleth
I think I could work on migrating RingLogger to the Erlang Logger and then it indeed would be nice to have, as this would allow me to have persistence layer within the application.
hauleth
Someone created topic Structured logging on localhost which give me some energy to revive it a little.
For now on
masterthere is version with updated version dependency forfile_systemwhich allows it to build with new Phoenix releases.Also I am working on colours that will be a little bit more readable as well as with adding colouring to metadata view.
In addition to that I am planning on adding limiter that will drop old DOM nodes if there is more than N entries to reduce memory consumption when there is a lot of logs.
I am also planning on dropping
plug_cowboydependency and instead force the user to setup HTTP server when needed.D4no0
Very nice, thanks for updating it!
Lately reading error messages from phoenix has become a pretty substantial problem for me. This solution might provide the perfect experience for dev environments where you don’t want to run a series of log collection and processing services.
Terbium-135
Looking forward to see this change!
And of course: Thx for your work
jberling
I feel a little stupid, but what do I need to do to make it work? I have added it to my dependencies and I have updated my config with the sources. Should that be enough, or do I need to do any additional steps? Where can I see the UI in your screenshots?
hauleth
If you set the port for the application, then it is available under that port. So with:
You go to http://localhost:6666 to view the UI.
jberling
Unfortunately, I can’t get it to work. I can’t see any indications any lumberjack code is running. No logs, and nothing at http://localhost:6666.