imetallica
Hello folks, is anyone working on a machine learning library of sorts for Elixir/Erlang?
I think that with the upcoming changes to the BEAM, specifically the work on a JIT, and the easy to use of GenStage and Flow, maybe it would become a viable solution to do number crunching (and I really mean maybe).
Yes, I’m aware that the BEAM at the current state is not good for such things as number crunching, but, well as this recent talk from Lukas Larsson on EEF17 has given me hope of a faster numeric Erlang. ![]()
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
bzhr
I feel this old (2009) stackoverflow thread on numerical computing in Erlang is relevant to the topic. I also think that the main feature of a language to be suitable for ML is vectorization, is Elixir good for vectorization of computations?
MartinElvar
Interesting talk, it seems however that BEAMJIT has been on its way for a long time.
entone
Garret Smith has been working on a system that wraps the Tensor Flow python libraries and implements an Erlang system around monitoring the processes. Check out http://guild.ai
marcusjwhelan
Is it possible for elixir to just be the controller for python processes? Since python has all the available libraries for easily working with data and it crunches numbers faster than elixir could python scripts do the work and pass back variables to an elixir app that is an API?
OvermindDL1
Easily yep, or go even lower level and access the base C/C++ API as well via a port or so. But yep, Python interacts wonderfully via a port, I’ve used it many times.
sabri
You mean you’ve accessed python via REST call from elixir? ex: API in Django
idi527
Seems more like Ports and Port Drivers — Erlang System Documentation v29.0.2.
You might want to check out The Erlangelist - Outside Elixir, https://hackernoon.com/mixing-python-with-elixir-7a2b7ac6696, and http://erlport.org/ as well.
aseigo
I can second @idi527 's erlport recommendation.
As for elixir+python for ml, we are calling python from Elixir for tensorflow usage, though we are also evaluating tensorflex for running the trained networks. Good times
leifericf
Where I work, we apply Machine Learning/Deep Learning to various problems in the retail space. Leveraging Elixir and BEAM for ML/DL is something I’m also curious about. I’ve been looking at some of the available Elixir wrappers/libraries, such as Tensorflex.
Although Elixir and BEAM might not be ideal for doing the heavy number-crunching, I imagine that it could be a great technology for building a platform to facilitate for distributed training of neural networks. Some kind of worldwide machine learning orchestration platform/service.
Imagine a peer-to-peer-like platform where people could volunteer idle CPUs and GPUs. Members of the network could then use idle hardware on demand for training their neural nets. One could implement some kind of point-based system for fair time-sharing of hardware resources in the network, etc.
The general idea of distributed computing is nothing new, as it has been applied to many different fields (Folding@Home being an excellent example).
rvirding
Something that might be interesting for interfacing python is Pyrlang. However, iirc it doesn’t work on 20 yet.