Mooodi

Mooodi

By default “timestamps()” generates a timestamp in naive datetime. When and when not will it be better to use “utc_datetime” instead?

In my app I need to use the values of “timestamps()”. And in some point I need to compare the “now()” with :inserted_at and then call DateTime.diff(…) I believe that it’s better for me to use :utc_datetime in “timestamps()” , right?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

this has been on this forum quite a few times already (search for utc_datetime). In short: when you use Ecto only, this should not matter as it enforces client’s protocol to be in UTC time zone. However, it makes difference if you load scripts or perform queries using psql or other external tools, that can have different time zone settings.

Mooodi

Mooodi OP

No. I’m calling DateTime.diff(DateTime.utc_now(), my_article.inserted_at) in my app and it throws an exception because the “inserted_at” is Naive DateTime

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

Ah, yes, this code will throw error unless you covert one type to another. I thought you meant SQL queries with “NOW()” function in them.

Mooodi

Mooodi OP

Hence, the answer to my question is – I should use :utc_datetime for “timestamps()”?

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

In my opinion - yes. That’s what I use and recommend to always use. (but opinions vary on this forum)

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

For as long as you’re not inserting the timestamps manually (e.g. insert_all), but let ecto handle them you can basically switch them out at any time. Ecto does default to NaiveDateTime.utc_now(), so it’s going to be a utc datetime no matter what and on the db side there’s no difference between an :naive_datetime and :utc_datetime field.

Mooodi

Mooodi OP

How can I convert “inserted_at” from naive to utc so that I can use it in DateTime.diff(…) ?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Either use DateTime.from_naive!(a.inserted_at, "Etc/UTC") or setup your schemas to use :utc_datetime.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews