quda
Is there a library/framework in Elixir for massive distributed processing of large data sets (BigData) ?
Actually, I need something like Apache Hadoop.
I found some mentions that GenStage+Flow could do it, but I cannot figure it and cannot grasp the “massive distributed parallel processing” in these frameworks. How to spread it on tens on nodes/cluster to perform “massive” MapReduce to flows of +50TB of data?
Are there other Elixir solutions for this ?
PS: For the time being we are doing this big data processing using a (ancient) custom stack developed on PhP/Hadoop, but as we need to migrate the entire back-end to Elixir I have to look for an Elixir (easy to implement, performant, sustainable) solution for this back-end tool.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
bdarla
You could find some relevant material in Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir (PragProg).
In addition to Gestate and Flow, the book discusses Broadway. According to the book, Broadway “offers a convenient way to build data-ingestion pipelines that consume events from external message brokers, like RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka, Amazon SQS, and more”.
I have to admit that although I have not read the book myself yet, but it is certainly relevant to your interests.
LostKobrakai
GenStage, Flow, Broadway can be building blocks for something like that, but they‘re certainly not a solution for that problem without a lot of additional work put into the parts not provided by them. Especially the distribution part does not exist in them.
quda
Quite indeed. This could be a project per se that requires lots of time/resources for study, planning, design, testing etc. and not a side task to complete “by the end of the month”.
Now I have to convince the customer about this.
MrDoops
You can also look at GitHub - elixir-explorer/explorer: Series (one-dimensional) and dataframes (two-dimensional) for fast and elegant data exploration in Elixir · GitHub for fast columnar / OLAP workloads - some sort of Broadway ETL setup that grabs a CSV, imports to Explorer, runs your OLAP workloads, then loads the aggregated/transformed results is a very common sort of pipeline Explorer would be good at.
I’d recommend also looking at solutions such as https://flink.apache.org/ or https://materialize.com/ depending on your use case.
Flow + Broadway might get you far enough though if PHP + Hadoop is working already. I have a sneaking suspicion the Elixir ecosystem, maybe via the Nx projects, will end up with some Apache BEAM / distributed dataflow type tooling. At the very least something similar to Explorer taking elixir expressions that execute via Rust NIFs but in streaming dataflow contexts like Apache BEAM (the other BEAM - not our BEAM, but which is also cool).
SirWerto
Maybe you can give a look to Vessel. It is a interface with Hadoop written in Elixir. I don’t know the status of the package but could be helpful if you are keeping Hadoop in your stack.
quda
Vessellooks quite promising for our scope, but sadly it seems abandoned and un-released: “Vessel is currently in a pre-v1 state”. And not a word about distributed processing.