mspanc

mspanc

Membrane Core Team

I am pleased to announce an initial release of the Membrane Framework - an Elixir-based framework with special focus on processing multimedia streams.

It is heavily inspired by architecture of GStreamer but aims at providing implementation of way higher reliability and scalability as well as to avoid many of its shortcomings.

We have just released v0.1 which contains just small set of elements that can be used to do simple audio processing, but a great effort was put into its core in order to lay down a good architecture for developing it further. v0.2 is planned to be available in 2-3 months and it should support video processing including patterns for easily implementing hardware acceleration and tons of other improvements.

I hope in the long run we’re going to provide a seamless experience for developers involved in multimedia processing and another boost for the quickly growing Elixir community.

It is already being used in production in broadcasting software that aims at 24/7 availability for a few months.

More information:

PS. Just a few words about credits: it is a spin-off from RadioKit and it is now developed and professionally backed up by the Software Mansion.

Looking forward for feedback,

Founder,

Marcin Lewandowski

Showing Posts 1 to 10

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Ooo, this looks quite useful!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Looks really good! :023:

Love the name, logo and branding too!! :003:

tomekzawada

tomekzawada

Membrane Core Team

Hi folks!

In case you were wondering how Membrane Farmework has evolved in 2019 so far, here is our latest Update on Q2 and Q3..

The most important news are of course new releases, including some breakthrough features such as

  • A/V stream synchronization
  • improved way to define pads
  • new testing API

and many more, not to mention new additional Packages.

All news regarding Membrane can be found on our Blog

Stay tuned for Q4 update soon!

Tomasz Zawada

12
Post #3
axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Sounds like some really neat stuff in there. Is there a high-level overview or examples of the types of programs that could be built with membrane?

mspanc

mspanc OP

Membrane Core Team

We’re currently building a Twitch clone using Membrane. In such case, Membrane handles all server-side processing and recording of the live streams.

In the roadmap we have an apps for managing CCTV recordings (automatic analysis of the stream, cutting out the most interesting parts etc.).

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Oooh, that’s pretty neat. So it seems it would be possible to build a video chat based on Membrane also.

mspanc

mspanc OP

Membrane Core Team

Indeed. We’re working on WebRTC. Currently we have a working signalling server, so you can set up a peer to peer video chat in the browser, and we’re preparing Membrane to be able to act as a peer.

Phillipp

Phillipp

Can Membrane be used in a Nerves system to broadcast the video from the PiCam over the network and maybe to online streaming services? Like an always-on-stream?

mspanc

mspanc OP

Membrane Core Team

Sounds like a good use case for Membrane :slight_smile:

Phillipp

Phillipp

Nice, I might actually try that in the next year. Now I know who to bug if I run into difficulties. :smiley:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ausimian
Castle is a package I put together to assist with building Elixir releases capable of being live-upgraded via the ‘official’ release hand...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews