Membrane - a new framework for multimedia processing

Hi there, it’s finally time to announce that Membrane supports HLS :tada: We finished all the needed plugins and prepared a demo of retrieving RTP stream and publishing it via HLS. @kanes115 described how we used it to create a streaming platform in this blog post. Enjoy :slight_smile:

7 Likes

We have a task to recode rtsp live streams into webrtc live streams.
We were able to do it on golang with this solution.
Can we do it on membrane?

Hi @arruah, not yet, but we’re close. You can already receive RTSP streams with RTSP and RTP. WebRTC support is still in progress, though we have most components ready.

4 Likes

Currently supports only RTSP 1.1 defined by RFC2326 Very old version. Not good.

Thank you @Membrane-Core-Team for such great work! :1st_place_medal:
I was trying to build a pipeline to stream a video file by HLS but i did not find any example of somthing similar to that. I tried to make the pipeline but looks like i am lost.
I am sure it would be very helpful for us if you provide some kind of simple example of streaming a video file.

1 Like

You can find an example of converting RTP stream to HLS in the membrane demo repository. You just need to replace RTP with plain H264/AAC.

1 Like

From my experience, the main use case for RTSP now is to connect to remote cameras, and all of them support RTSP 1.0, while 2.0 is a rare case. Having in mind that 2.0 is not backwards compatible, answer yourself what would you implement in the first place :wink: Also, note that the definition of ‘very old’ changes a lot when it comes to hardware. That said, I’m curious why is 2.0 needed in your case?

2 Likes

@mspanc

By the way, we’re currently working on an open-source toolkit that is based on Membrane and Janus and is kind of “starter kit” for creating a conference or webinar application.

It should handle all the hard things mentioned by @mat-hek and in the talk he referenced.

If you can wait 2-3 weeks you should be able to use it as a basis for you application.

I just stumbled on this and was wondering if yall were able to get that out into the wild? Would love to check it out. Thanks!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: How to take a file source and create a HLS stream in Membrane?

2 posts were split to a new topic: New Membrane website has just launched!