AstonJ
Just posting this here in case it helps anyone else in future.
on mix ecto.create I was getting:
00:54:48.033 [error] GenServer #PID<0.214.0> terminating
** (Postgrex.Error) FATAL 28000 (invalid_authorization_specification) role "postgres" does not exist
(db_connection) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:84: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2
(connection) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5
(stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Last message: nil
State: Postgrex.Protocol
** (Mix) The database for Hello.Repo couldn't be created: killed
and psql was reporting:
psql: FATAL: database "Aston" does not exist
See answer below…
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
Fixed with:
(Change
Astonto whatever thepsqlcommand in the post above said was missing)Then:
(Although it told me the postgres db already exists - something you can check with
psql -l)dimitarvp
That’s kind of weird. PostgreSQL should always come with a created
postgresuser. I’d wager on a broken installation.AstonJ
Yeah something weird is going on. I haven’t done a clean install for a while, just update after (MacOS) update - I generally hate settling with updates as things always break and start to feel sluggish after a while. But Apple being Apple have made clean installs harder - last time a clean install totally broke my email settings and I had to report it as a bug to get an answer on fixing it!
I’ll only do a clean install now if I have a week or two spare 
Reason I posted the thread here is because when searching I noticed someone had commented they got the same error after running
mix ecto.createtoo! So thought having it more easily and directly google-able might help others in futureshanesveller
Agreed, but the Homebrew installation creates a SQL user named after your OS user and no “postgres” user to go with it. Just something to document and be aware of like @AstonJ has done here
AstonJ
Ah that explains why when using Rails it works fine - because I guess they use your account name user rather than ‘postgres’.
I wonder if Ecto could detect whether you’re using OSX and do the same? Otherwise every Mac user who have installed PG via homebrew will get the same.
Alternatively maybe hombrew could create the postgres role on installation too?
shanesveller
So for me the disconnect is that the generators hard-code the literal value of “postgres” for username on the Ecto connection, but really what it needs is a SQL user that is a superuser or that has DB creation rights. I would prefer some explicitness/agnosticism in that direction be included in the Phoenix generator output, and/or in the Hex docs, instead of assuming I’ve left the default “postgres” user intact and with superuser privileges.
I don’t do that on my dev workstation or my production DB either, so I wind up using a Repo.init/2 callback and a DATABASE_URL basically immediately on new projects.
dimitarvp
Not sure. I installed PG through homebrew as well and I seem to remember it having the postgres user and a fresh Phoenix app working right away. But then again, that was a while ago, can’t swear the details on my life.
As for the Ecto default, you’re not wrong but then again they apply for local-only config so I see no harm done.
axelson
But if you’re working on a shared project, you’re probably better off with everyone using the
postgresuser locally, or not setting one at all (which I think will default to the logged in user)sbuffose
Hi guys! I got the same error:
and fixed it. It was due to the config on the dev.exs file (at the end of it):
Originally:
Fixed:
The setup by default is “postgres” => updated them to my computer user.
I hope it helps!
dimitarvp
I’m thinking you need to have a look at your
pg_hba.confand make sure you are actually permitted to log into Postgres.Have you tried getting in simply with
psql -U postgres?