Need a Crash Course on Elixir...any ideas

Hello,
I have an interview coming up and I seem to have forgotten important concepts of Elixir. So I was wondering if you guys know of any crash courses on Elixir and Pheonix and maybe build a simple app at the end?

Something that talks about Elixir, Pheonix, and or Liveview.

Thank You

1 Like

https://codestool.coding-gnome.com

Cannot recommend the Elixir course enough. In the end you have a web app using Phoenix.

5 Likes

I believe you mean this one Elixir for Programmers, Second Edition. I will purchase this one after I go through a refresher course again.
Sorry, my question is pertaining to a more beginner-friendly course, before I jump into this one by PragDave

1 Like

What are your thoughts on these Elixir Projects ?

Do you think this course by PragDave will teach good concepts to know?

Depends on what you mean by a “crash-course”. Personally I’ve found the official guides great, very terse and on point. As mentioned in the table of contents they include stuff like OTP, building small apps, etc. But, not Phoenix.

1 Like

If you actually have learned Elixir previously and are just looking to get back into the swing of the syntax and overall paradigm, you might just go through some of the Elixir exercises on Exercism. If you want a more formal course that will give an efficient overview of the language syntax as well as the OTP design patterns, I don’t think there’s a better option than that PragDave course.

Those courses are almost exactly the same as the Pragmatic Programmers books, like word-for-word. It would be cheaper to buy the books so you can reference them later.

The most robust informative course that provides detailed information. Like a zero to hero.

Current i am going Elixirschool to read up on everything and do the Examples. But id like more exposure. Mini projects and examples.

I will purchase the PragDave just want to be a stronger candidate.

I’m going through the Dockyard Academy open source curriculum, and I think it’s great. It uses Livebook and you learn the basics of the language, tooling, OTP, Phoenix and Liveview. In my personal experience this the most beginner friendly course I have seen up to now, with many small exercises and projects and very to the point. Dockyard actually uses this curriculum for their bootcamp, but IMO it is also doable on yourself. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Since Elixir is not that popular, our company’s question is just “Please reimplement flatten using recursion. You can use any language you like.”

We don’t expect our new colleagues to know Elixir. Several days ago, I just taught a new colleague how to reimplement GenServer module using pure Elixir.

1 Like

Silly question,
I have not yet recruited elixir devs, but might in the future, why do you want them to implement flatten rather than fold/reduce since it should be more generic?
Do you give them extra points if they implement fold accidentally?

Does it matter? I wouldn’t even bother giving recursion exercises as you mostly will never use it, I would rather just ask the difference between tail recursion and the generic one.

My opinion is that these exercises are only useful for hiring fresh graduates, as there is no way to ascertain their skills otherwise, as for people with experience, just ask them about some tricky things like concurrency in their language, and if they know what they are talking about then you are good to go.

Now, this is what I was looking for!
Question is it completely free or is there a fee?

It doesn’t, I’m just curious regarding hiring/onboarding procedures. I didn’t mean anything by that.

To the OP, by far my favourite resource is Elixir in Action.

A lot of Elixir Developers always point to these books… Why is that Elixir is still far back in the books? Most other languages have a magnitude of resources. I find it strange.

For Elixir only, I think the official getting started docs are excellent:

For LiveView the course at Phoenix LiveView Free Course | The Pragmatic Studio is really good. This might be your best bet for Phoenix as well.

For Phoenix itself, all of the Phoenix books at Community — Phoenix v1.7.2 are all dated and official docs aren’t that good for those just getting started. I don’t know what I would recommend.

To be fair, there are many books (most of them from PragProg and a couple from manning)… But in all fairness, I also found the number of Elixir’s book to be low… But it’s just because it’s not that popular (to my regret) and this… I can’t even understand why this so beautiful language and community hadn’t gotten more traction.

Also I remember having read a comment from José somewhere about why it’s not even fair to compare Elixir with other languages in book stores because of the way search results was distorting the reality… Something along these lines… But it was interesting…

Not silly at all. The problem is, I’m not the one who decided to give such a question to the interviewees. I guess fold can easily be written in an iterative fashion, while flatten is relatively hard to be implemented iteratively. I think that’s why there’s no Enum.flatten/1 in Elixir (I know there’s only recursion in Elixir).

No it’s free and open source (I’ve also contributed a little when it was still in beta). They use it for their bootcamp (which is not free) but the curriculum itself can be downloaded and started with Livebook. It’s all explained on their Github readme, which also links to a setup guide.

1 Like