shansiddiqui94

shansiddiqui94

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. I have been learning Elixir for about 1 month now. I have built two projects and used the Phoenix Framework and Liveview, also touched a bit of Pubsub. I understand that I have a lot more to learn, and I will gladly learn it! There is always room to grow.

My question: How would someone like me impress recruiters?

What project can I build to really stand out, and can someone recommend me something to build?

I ask this because I recently began to apply for roles, and I noticed that mostly all Elixir roles are Senior Engineers. I have no experience with Elixir Except for what I have built so far. Do I need to spend 2 years Learning and building applications to be even considered to work for a company that uses Elixir?

Thank You

Showing Posts 1 to 4

D4no0

D4no0

In my experience this seems to make sense. Elixir/Erlang has a lot of complexity that does not meet the eye of a beginner also there is the steep learning curve of a functional language with a quite unique concurrency model and features.

I am developing in elixir for about 4 years now and I can say for sure that it took me about more than a year to truly understand the philosophy on how to make good software. There are still things I haven’t mastered fully, like metaprogramming, it is a very green field with new patterns and practices.

As to why you would hire only seniors on elixir, the reason is simple, projects focused on performance/reliability. Such projects receive good funding but at the same time requirements are very hard to meet, so engineers with good knowledge of technology are required.

There is another side of medal, companies that write on ruby, seem to also start projects in elixir. They usually hire ruby juniors and then convert ruby seniors to elixir developers. If you truly want to develop in elixir, that might be your best place to start.

thelastinuit

thelastinuit

It says experienced but I’m pretty sure the right mindset can get you something: Hawku - The first NFT Marketplace written in Elixir/Liveview! :slight_smile:

give it a try!

JasonTrue

JasonTrue

Given the relative rarity of Elixir experience, I mainly hire based on evidence of creativity/tenacity/persistence rather than specific Elixir background, so to me, even a toy project built in Elixir would be a pretty positive sign. If it were critical to me to see someone going “above and beyond” I guess I’d be interested in a project that demonstrates creative solutions to the challenges of immutability, concurrency, etc. But in general, defensible designs that use Elixir idioms nicely are a pretty good start.

Also, if I were trying to hire for a “senior” Elixir role, I’d probably actually mean “senior developer,” not “Experienced Elixir developer.” Someone who’s been in the game for 5-8 years, has built production systems in at least 1-2 languages.

We’ve hired only one developer with production Elixir background (besides myself) from junior to ~6 years experience in other languages, all full-time, plus some 10+ years experienced Rails developers as consultants. If I choose curious people with a mindset that they’re not done learning, it tends to work out.

I would recommend not sweating “N years Elixir experience” that much if you see it in a job description. Sometimes that’s a formal HR organization pushing that sort of language, but it can be “this is my ideal candidate” rather than “this is the minimum we’ll actually interview.” Many companies will talk to you if you’ve got N years experience in anything. In my current company’s case, and in at least a couple of other places, we’ve just decided to rethink the position when we saw a sharp person ignore the listed “requirements.” I think it’s nonsense that companies write job descriptions that imply more experience required than they’d actually accept, but would definitely advise not sweating those details when applying, especially if the role sounds interesting otherwise.

KristerV

KristerV

This has been my own experience when i was job searching also. Since there’s not a lot of Elixir devs to go around really they’re looking for people who just make good software and are quick to learn.

I also ran a software agency myself and the word “Senior” gets put in the CV, but real world usage gets abused. It’s common to see juniors refer to themselves as seniors and seniors who think they’re mid at best. The latter can happen for many reasons.

Point is apply and let them decide if they want you. Keep building, yes. But don’t stop applying.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews