vrod
When I do :observer.start() from inside an iex session, erlang crashes with segmentation fault. I tried brew install wxmac to deal with the errors described here Elixir with ASDF: troubleshooting :observer.start - #2 by l00ker
But that’s when the crashes started. The log is very long has many lines:
./src/common/object.cpp(251): assert "classTable->Get(m_className) == NULL" failed in Register(): Class "wxXmlResourceHandler" already in RTTI table - have you used IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC_CLASS() multiple times or linked some object file twice)?
I have these versions:
asdf install erlang 23.1.2
asdf install elixir 1.11.2-otp-23
running on OS X 11.2.1 Big Sur.
Does anyone have ideas what I should try? Thank you!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
WestKeys
had similar issue not too long ago
did u try just reinstalling elixir via asdf and if that doesnt work reinstalling asdf itself?
vrod
I tried uninstalling/installing erlang via asdf… I didn’t do that with Elixir or with asdf itself yet
drl123
wxmac has to be installed when/before Erlang is compiled. Observer runs in Erlang, not Elixir, so reinstalling Elixir alone will not help you. Remove your Erlang installation and reinstall, now that you have wxmac installed and it should work for you.
(PS…check the ASDF Erlang plugin readme for any other dependencies you may need before compiling Erlang again. It’s pretty well detailed).
vrod
I have tried uninstalling Elixir, Erlang, and ASDF itself, but the observer doesn’t work yet. I don’t know which compile options to test
kokolegorille
As mentionned in the previous post, You need wxmac. Did You install it?
vrod
yes, I did
brew install wxmacbefore re-installing and re-compiling erlang.It seems that most of the errors are about there being wxmac files in 2 locations. But maybe this is normal for how brew installs this?
kokolegorille
I would probably uninstall the oldest, it should be something like brew unistall, but I am not on Mac anymore.
Nicd
There is a similar thread here with a marked solution, maybe it can help: `:observer.start` crashes Erlang VM - #19
vrod
I followed this: segmentation fault when starting observer (macOS Big Sur) · Issue #183 · asdf-vm/asdf-erlang · GitHub
it worked for me running
on BigSur
Thank you!