alco

alco

Josh Adams (@knewter) used to run yearly Elixir Users Surveys from 2014 to 2017, you can see the roundup here - Elixir Users Survey 2017. It was and is a great idea. I’d love to see it become an official thing, that is, a yearly survey backed by the core team and announced everywhere Elixir devs can be found (this forum, @elixirlang Twitter, Elixir Weekly and Elixir Radar newsletters, etc.).

It would be even better if we could get support from Erlang Ecosystem Foundation and include Erlang users in the survey. Though this may be up for discussion whether there should be one survey for all BEAM users or separate ones for Elixir and Erlang.

The goal is to get some stats to see the size of the user base, which industries the language is used in, how many companies are running it in production, what are the sizes of teams using Elixir at their companies, and so on. I suggest taking a look at Go survey and Rust survey for inspiration.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

bottlenecked

bottlenecked

The only survey I ever gladly and willingly took!

Tuxified

Tuxified

I think it’s a great idea! The Erlang Ecosystem Foundation might be the right organization to do this, but then the question I’m wondering is: which Working Group should we ask about this?

I’m thinking a bit about the Marketing WG ?

–edit–
BTW, before we do this, it would be nice to include @knewter in this conversation, don’t want to take something from him.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I think this is good idea too!

We have several polls here (see the polls tag) however, as pointed out by @adolfont, one of the disadvantages of polls on a forum is that users can see answers by others, so may be influenced by them.

I agree that an official Elixir survey like the Rust and Go ones are the way to go :023: (and that we stick to more general or ‘fun’ polls on the forum).

adolfont

adolfont

I am part of the Education, Training, & Adoption Working Group of the EEF. I have already suggested, based on this thread, that we do this survey. I am going to volunteer to help.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews