alechow

alechow

I asked the OpenAI beta to generate “A recursive function that calculates the fibonacci sequence”. The following is its output. I wrote the comments, it wrote everything else. Thoughts?

Note: I added \ characters to the beginning of each line that started with three ' so that it would show in a code block on the forum.

# Elixir
# A recursive function that calculates the fibonacci sequence
def fib(n) do
  if n <= 1 do
    n
  else
    fib(n - 1) + fib(n - 2)
  end
end

IO.puts fib(40)
\```

### Output

\```
102334155
\```

## Benchmark

\```
$ time elixir fib.exs
102334155

real	0m0.873s
user	0m0.868s
sys	0m0.004s
\```
#ai

Showing Posts 2 to 1

derpycoder

derpycoder


According to the above blog post, the following implementation is the fastest!

defmodule Fibonacci do
  def fibonacci(number) do
   Enum.reverse(fibonacci_do(number))
  end

  def fibonacci_do(1), do: [0]
  def fibonacci_do(2), do: [1|fibonacci_do(1)]
  def fibonacci_do(number) when number > 2 do
    [x, y|_] = all = fibonacci_do(number-1)
    [x + y|all]
  end
end

It generated the list for fib(40): [0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584, 4181, 6765, 10946, 17711, 28657, 46368, 75025, 121393, 196418, 317811, 514229, 832040, 1346269, 2178309, 3524578, 5702887, 9227465, 14930352, 24157817, 39088169, 63245986]
in an instant!


2nd best:

Rosetta code algorithm.

defmodule Fibonacci do
    def fib(0), do: 0
    def fib(1), do: 1
    def fib(n), do: fib(0, 1, n-2)

    def fib(_, prv, -1), do: prv
    def fib(prvprv, prv, n) do
        next = prv + prvprv
        fib(prv, next, n-1)
    end
end

IO.inspect Enum.map(0..10, fn i-> Fibonacci.fib(i) end)
derpycoder

derpycoder

That’s definitely faster than:

defmodule Fib do
  def fib(0), do: 0
  def fib(1), do: 1
  def fib(n), do: fib(n - 1) + fib(n - 2)
end

But it seems OpenAI needs to learn about functional programming and how to write idiomatic Elixir code. :sweat_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews