Origin of the name Elixir

Where did the name Elixir come from?

I came across a reference to Potion, the language by _why the lucky stiff. It got me thinking that maybe Elixir is a nod and homage to _why. But I realised I don’t know the origin of the name Elixir.

6 Likes

Afaik the name comes from nowhere. It was just there. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

The elixir name and the purple theme, reminds me of clash of clans’ elixir.

1 Like

Google does think the very same… When I try to find something elixir (the language) related, I do always get at least one result that is related to elixir (the Clash of Clans ressource) on the first page…

This is what comes to my mind when I think of purple elixir :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, whisky of Polish villages :slight_smile:

Doesn’t @josevalim live in a Polish village? :wink:

2 Likes

How many people learned about this product from googling for programming knowledge? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I chuckled when I received these the other day :lol:

So I can now say Elixir joins me in the bath every night :043:

(Epsom salt and sea salt baths are extremely good for you - our bodies absorb magnesium much more efficiently through the skin than orally)

2 Likes

I saw the Elixir vase at IKEA a few days ago. But for some reason, IKEA decided to call it ‘SANNOLIK’: :grin:

4 Likes

This past summer, my family was vacationing in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada when we came across Emptyful.

6 Likes

I sure did :slight_smile:
I think Elixir needs SEO team :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the other hand… I wonder how many guitar players ended up becoming Elixir programmers instead! :blush:

5 Likes

Reading the smaller print, I guess they also ended up being anti-Rust… :slight_smile:

10 Likes

On a side note, is there any activity besides coding itself that a developer spends more time on than thinking about names for the stuff he is creating?

I am frequently amazed by the ingenuity and diversity in the naming of all the crazy and marvelous software that is out there today.

1 Like

I’ve been a hobby guitar player for 20 years, but I had never heard of that brand of strings until I started coding Elixir /shrug

2 Likes

I think I have a set of Elixir strings somewhere. I’ll have to try them if I can remember where they are. I think they’re supposed to be pretty good.

2 Likes

“There are only two hard problems in software development: cache invalidation and naming stuff”

6 Likes

I’ve been using Elixir strings for many years. They’re great. Bonus, they last longer than more traditional guitar strings.

2 Likes

They’re more expensive than conventional strings, but they’re great. Your fingers will slide across effortlessly and they last longer as well.

3 Likes