Out of the tarpit

For those who have read papers-we-love/out-of-the-tar-pit.pdf at master · papers-we-love/papers-we-love · GitHub :

1. Are there any Elixir libraries that try to implement this strategy for state management ?

2. Are there any Elixir limitations that make elixir a bad match for this strategy?

(to avoid debates over what ‘out of the tarpit’ actually means, please read the paper rather than assume ‘out of the tarpit’ means XYZ)

2 Likes

Toooo biiiig :slight_smile:

Can you provide a TLDR?

3 Likes

A tl;dr would really help. If people find an interesting idea in there, they may read the paper.

Until then, if I assume that out of the tarpit means to escape incomprehensible, unmaintainable, untestable … code - Elixir can help. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

There aren’t many implementations of that approach in any language; AFAIK Datomic is the closest and it’s mostly used from Clojure.

If you squint really hard at something like commanded it kinda follows the pattern.

2 Likes

Agreed. David Nolen, who has done lots of great work, has some interesting talks on Datomic + out-of-the-tar-pit: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=out+of+the+tarpit%2C+david+nolen

GitHub - agentm/project-m36: Project: M36 Relational Algebra Engine is also pretty close.

===

@Exadra37 @Sebb : The solution starts on page 42, with a concrete example on page 53. I’m reluctant to TLDR, as it will likely result in re-debating the first 42 pages (which is useful, but I’d rather focus on implementations).

1 Like

Nice collection of talks :slight_smile:

Shameless plug ahead:

I have a web app to take video notes, thus feel free to use it to add notes on this talks, for example for this video:

Screenshot from 2021-04-02 18-40-10

When I move the web app to its final domain I will also move the database, therefore nothing will be lost :slight_smile:

1 Like