marick
I know not to worry about performance before getting evidence of a problem, but I’m idly curious about preloads. (Note: I have fairly little experience with databases.)
I have this query:
#Ecto.Query<from a0 in Crit.Schemas.Animal, where: a0.id == ^"2",
order_by: [asc: a0.name], distinct: [asc: a0.name],
preload: [[:species, :service_gaps]]>
When that runs, the log shows three queries:
[debug] QUERY OK source="animals" db=0.5ms idle=1437.9ms
SELECT ... FROM "demo"."animals" WHERE (a0."id" = $1) [2]
[debug] QUERY OK source="species" db=1.0ms idle=1438.7ms
SELECT ... FROM "demo"."species" ... WHERE (s0."id" = $1) [1]
[debug] QUERY OK source="service_gaps" db=1.5ms idle=1438.7ms
SELECT ... FROM "demo"."service_gaps" WHERE (s0."animal_id" = $1) [2]
Am I correct in thinking that’s three round trips to Postgres?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
It does it in 3 distinct queries yes, although notably if you aren’t in a transaction it will query the preloads in parallel.
mindok
Also, the main point is that you avoid the n+1 problem which can be a significant source of unintended database traffic.
josevalim
Correct. Keep in mind that this is often the best way to load one to many associations because of the way SQL database return data. If you have three tables, all associated in one to many, and each table returns respectively
K,M,Nentries, you will get overallK * M * Nrows. That ends up with a lot of duplication, which translates to more data over the wire and more work decoding the data. When using preloads, you getK + M + Nrows, which ends up being more performant.If you want to force to actually go the join route, you can do so too: