itzmidinesh
I’m encountering a CORS configuration issue in my Phoenix app during deployment due to a mismatch between compile-time and runtime configurations.
Current Setup
In endpoint.ex, before MyApp.Router, I have:
plug CORSPlug, origin: Application.compile_env(:my_app, :cors_origin)
In config.exs (for dev and test environments):
config :my_app,
cors_origins: System.get_env("CORS_ORIGINS", "*") |> String.split(",")
In runtime.exs:
config :my_app,
cors_origins: System.fetch_env!("CORS_ORIGINS") |> String.split(",")
The Issue
When deploying to production (using Fly.io), I encounter this error:
ERROR! the application :my_app has a different value set for key :cors_origins during runtime compared to compile time. Since this application environment entry was marked as compile time, this difference can lead to unexpected behavior:
* Compile time value was not set
* Runtime value was set to: ["http://localhost:5173"]
If I change endpoint.ex to use Application.get_env/2:
plug CORSPlug, origin: Application.get_env(:my_app, :cors_origin)
the app deploys successfully, but I see a warning that get_env/2 is discouraged in this context.
I’ve been troubleshooting this for about eight hours and could use some guidance. Am I overlooking something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
karlosmid
Hi, you can control check_origin via config files (runtime.exs, config.exs, dev.exs and test.exs:
and control prod, dev, and test env as you wish, no need to edit endpoint.ex file where you can only set values during compilation phase.
itzmidinesh
If anyone encounters the same issue in the future, here’s how I resolved it:
I moved the environment variable fetching logic to a helper module, which fixed the problem.
Here’s the helper module:
Note: Ensure you use the capture operator (
&) when calling the function in the plug. Calling it without the capture operator will not work—I made this mistake and spent an entire day debugging it.I hope this helps anyone facing a similar issue!
dimitarvp
Thank you for posting the solution.
Any insight on why you didn’t use
Application.compile_envinstead? Do you expect modification of the application’s configuration at runtime?itzmidinesh
I opted not to use
Application.compile_envbecause I needed the flexibility to update the origins dynamically without requiring a recompilation.dimitarvp
Thought so, thanks for elaborating.