ryanswapp

ryanswapp

I wrote up the second post in a series I’m doing on using Phoenix and Absinthe to build GraphQL API’s. In this post I cover adding CRUD functionality with mutations. Please let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help in any way that I can!

https://ryanswapp.com/2016/12/03/phoenix-graphql-tutorial-with-phoenix-add-crud-using-mutations/

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

You’re my hero for making these!

ryanswapp

ryanswapp OP

Haha I’m glad you approve! Thanks for the library! You and Bruce are doing great work.

Oxyrus

Oxyrus

You sir are my Savior, thank you so much, I’ll read it when I get home.

themarlzy

themarlzy

Great, loved the first. Doing it now. Thanks very much!

kelvinst

kelvinst

Nice post! I was wondering though: do you ever played with the idea @chrismccord mentioned on 2015’s ElixirConf Keynote? More specifically what he talks between 25th and 27th minutes, the idea of using a Phoenix.View with a GraphQL as the data layer.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

We have an experimental library that does exactly this. Let me see if we can carve out some time this week and get a beta released.

kelvinst

kelvinst

Nice! :slight_smile:

Once you get it released, let me know here, I’ll probably test it on the product I’m working on. :slight_smile:

Oxyrus

Oxyrus

Just finished reading it, thank you once again @ryanswapp :smile:

MartinElvar

MartinElvar

Can’t express how much i want this! :heart_eyes:

bruce

bruce

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

We’ll get this out soon. We actually have it driving the Phoenix CRUD scaffolding with very minimal edits (including queries and mutations). Just some work around serialization (eg, views probably don’t want serialized time structs they then have to deserialize) and some utilities for error feedback before we push this out there.

Here’s a sneak peek of working code. Note the 3-arity actions; Absinthe processes input using the associated document, hands off result to action for response. It is pretty cool to have your Absinthe schema handle the complexities of input validation and database operations and just focus on what to show them!

  @graphql """
  mutation ($id: ID!, $user: InputUser!) {
    user: update_user(id: $id, input: $user) { ... UserFields }
  }
  """
  # Note: The "UserFields" fragment used above is defined by the View, as
  #       it's a view concern.
  def update(conn, %{user: user}, []) do
    conn
    |> put_flash(:info, "User updated successfully.")
    |> redirect(to: user_path(conn, :show, user))
  end
  def update(conn, %{user: user}, _errors) do
    conn
    |> put_flash(:error, "An error occurred.")
    |> redirect(to: user_path(conn, :edit, user))
  end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews