tcoopman

tcoopman

LiveView 1.0.0 is out!

This 1.0 milestone comes six years after the first LiveView commit.

Why LiveView

I started LiveView to scratch an itch. I wanted to create dynamic server-rendered applications without writing JavaScript. I was tired of the inevitable ballooning complexity that it brings.

Think realtime form validations, updating the quantity in a shopping cart, or real-time streaming updates. Why does it require moving mountains to solve in a traditional stack? We write the HTTP glue or GraphQL schemas and resolvers, then we figure out which validation logic needs shared or dup’d. It goes on and on from there – how do we get localization information to the client? What data serializers do we need? How do we wire up WebSockets and IPC back to our code? Is our js bundle getting too large? I guess it’s time to start turning the Webpack or Parcel knobs. Wait Vite is a thing now? Or I guess Bun configuration is what we want? We’ve all felt this pain.

The idea was, what if we removed these problems entirely? HTTP can go away, and the server can handle all the rendering and dynamic update concerns. It felt like a heavy approach, but I knew Elixir and Phoenix was perfectly suited for it.

Six years later this programming model still feels like cheating. Everything is super fast. Payloads are tiny. Latency is best-in-class. Not only do you write less code, there’s simply less to think about when writing features.

Read in full on the Phoenix Blog here:

Dockyard also blogged: Phoenix LiveView Goes 1.0

Congratulations to the whole team who worked on this :heart::heart:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

onelixir

onelixir

Have been waiting for this moment so long! Thanks so much for all your hard work! :heart_eyes:

AstonJ

AstonJ

Congratulations Chris and everyone who has worked on LiveView - I can’t believe it’s been 6 years already!

I guess all good things come to those who wait! :smiley:

soyjeansoy

soyjeansoy

Wow, now is the best time for me to update my projects! :partying_face: :tada:

ThaddeusJiang

ThaddeusJiang

I’m particularly interested in the “hot code upgrade” section in the blog. Could you explain how it’s implemented?

Are there any example codes?
Is it specific to the Fly platform?
Can I implement it with any Docker container?

Thanks

sreyansjain

sreyansjain

Wow, the much awaited is finally here. Congratulations Chris, Jose and the whole team :tada: :partying_face:

apoorv-2204

apoorv-2204

Congratulation to all the elixir and Phoenix team and all the people who worked on it.
Thank you Phoenix and elixir team

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

Congrats Phoenix team!

It might be age fogging my memory, but did LiveView take longer to hit 1.0 than Phoenix itself?

herman

herman

Want to shoutout to the Elixir and Phoenix devs, it was so cool to bump the package, run format and all the streamlined Heex changes applied automatically.


Small things like this makes working in the ecosystem a joy.

lkuty

lkuty

Congrats ! It is a joy to use. The whole Phoenix ecosystem and Elixir itself. Five years ago I rewrote an entire system I am responsible for (sole developer) from Erlang to Elixir and expanded it a lot thanks to Phoenix and in particular LiveView.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews