Kurisu

Kurisu

I’m looking for a way to validate any url, but also a specific one (for example youtube channel, facebook page like urls).

Any recommended or common way of doing that? Ecto Type library?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

egze

egze

Do you want to only validate the format or that the url really exists and returns something?

Kurisu

Kurisu OP

For now the url format is my only concern.

egze

egze

There is validate_format/4 where you can write a regexp for url validation, or something like this EctoFields.URL

Kurisu

Kurisu OP

So if I get it right, for some specific url I can combine validate_format/4 and EctoFields.URL.

Edit: If I don’t want to write some long regex like http://www\.youtube\.com\/(.+)|https://www\.youtube\.com\/(.+). ^^

egze

egze

If you want to validate a specific format for YouTube, then I think you will have to write a regexp for YouTube and handle different cases.

http://www\.youtube\.com\/(.+)|https://www\.youtube\.com\/(.+) is of course not so optimal. Could be done with http(s)?:\/\/www\.youtube\.com\/(.+).

Maybe also see this topic for inspiration Validating youtube link

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I have a small lib called ex_url that parses URLs that you might find helpful.

Kurisu

Kurisu OP

Thanks to all the suggestions, finally I managed to write a really naive module for my url validation with Ecto.

My use case is very simple. In my project I want users to add their personal website url or their social link (facebook, twitter, etc.).

  • for some personal website any valid url is okay.
  • for some social link I need to ensure that the said social network name is included in a valid url.

All that validations are just for users browsing convenience. I won’t do anything with the urls apart displaying them on the owner profile page.

I choose the regex solution suggested by @egze because like that I won’t have to add any extra dependency to my project. Thanks also to @wolfiton that provided to me links to great resources on regex writing.

So see below a sample of the module

Kurisu

Kurisu OP

defmodule Easy.Url do
  @moduledoc """
  A module for url validation with Ecto
  """

  alias Ecto.{Changeset}
  import Changeset, only: [validate_format: 3]

  @before_tld "^(((ht|f)tp(s?))\://)?(www.|[a-zA-Z].)[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]"
  @tld "([a-zA-Z])"
  @after_tld "(\:[0-9]+)*(/($|[a-zA-Z0-9\.\,\;\?\'\\\+&%\$#\=~_\-]+))*$"

  @regex Regex.compile!("#{@before_tld}+\.#{@tld}#{@after_tld}")

  @doc """
  Validate an url
  """
  def validate_url(changeset, field), do: validate_format(changeset, field, @regex)

  @doc """
  Validate an url for only some given top level domains
  """
  def validate_url(changeset, field, tld_list) do
    tld = Enum.join(tld_list, "|")

    case Regex.compile("#{@before_tld}+\.#{tld}#{@after_tld}") do
      {:ok, regex} ->
        validate_format(changeset, field, regex)

      _ ->
        validate_url(changeset, field)
    end
  end

  @doc """
  Validate an url while ensuring it contains a given domain
  """
  def validate_specific_url(changeset, field, domain) do
    changeset
    |> validate_url(field)
    |> validate_format(field, ~r/#{domain}/)
  end
end

Edit: Any suggestion is welcome of course.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Unfortunately your regex won’t parse some valid URLs like:

iex> Regex.match? @regex, "https://user:pass@my_site.com"          
false
iex> Regex.match? @regex, "https://my_site.com?tracking_token=some_token"   
false
iex> Regex.match? @regex, "https://my_site.com/" 

All of which can be parsed by the built-in URI module (ie no new dependency). For example:

iex> URI.parse "https://user:pass@my_site.com/"       
%URI{
  authority: "user:pass@my_site.com",
  fragment: nil,
  host: "my_site.com",
  path: "/",
  port: 443,
  query: nil,
  scheme: "https",
  userinfo: "user:pass"
}

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews