brainlid
Episode 120 of Thinking Elixir. Localizing and personalizing an application is separate from the language used in the interface. Kip Cole explains how the mismatch of computers with the culture of our audience creates friction we may not even be aware of. In fact, our benign app may be unintentionally offensive to millions of people! Kip created the libraries ex_cldr, money and tempo to help Elixir developers localize applications in a culture aware way. What does that mean? It means using minimal information we can infer how names should appear, how numbers are represented, the assumed numeric rounding rules, first day of the week, the calendar being used, and more!
Trending in Podcasts
Recorded live from Goatmire in Varberg, we recap the conference, its Nerves-powered orchestra, LED tree, and badges, and discuss José Val...
New
New episode with Alex Koutmos covering the overlap between Elixir and financial systems - practically, architecturally, and historically....
New
New episode covering the full arc of Kip Cole’s 10-year localization and time work in Elixir - useful context for anyone using ex_cldr, T...
New
New episode with Tobias Pfeiffer (PragTob) covering Benchee’s design and the systematic mistakes that make most benchmarks misleading.
P...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 4 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kip
I know what you mean - it fades the curtains and the cows never know what time to come in for milking!
There was one example - I think the most complex I’ve seen - that I couldn’t remember during recording:
Humanity - its just messy.
PS: Glad you enjoyed the cast, @brainlid and team do a really great job making their guests feel welcome.
cmo
It’s great listening to passionate people go on about their passion.
@kip I refer to times with the timezone all the time. You only need to drive from QLD to NSW to an important event only to arrive an hour late because you didn’t know they were in daylight savings once. Bloody daylight savings.
AstonJ
Well that was without doubt one of the most entertaining podcasts I have ever listened to! So much so that I ended up listening to it 1.5 times
As I was listening to it I was thinking that I must comment that you really should write a book Kip! You’re incredibly eloquent and witty and I am sure you could make even the most mundane of topics interesting and fun! I was pleased to hear you are collaborating on one - I shall look forward to it!
Thanks for having Kip on the podcast (tho you forgot to mention he’s also part of the moderator team here on the forum ;))
kip
Thanks for having me on the show @brainlid - it was a blast.