trisolaran
Hello! I hope you’re all enjoying your summer! (or winter if you live in the southern hemisphere)
Suppose I have a key event binding on a text input field in a form in liveview:
<%= text_input(@form, "text_input", phx_keyup: "keyup" %>
I can handle the key event in my live view code easily. However, hitting certain keys may trigger some unwanted default action in the browser. For example, hitting “Enter” may trigger a form submit.
I can prevent these default actions using client hooks. I can capture the key event in JS and then call event.preventDefault() before sending the event to my liveview using pushEvent(). Although this works, it is less clean and more complex than doing everything in liveview.
So my questions are:
- Can browser’s default actions be prevented directly in LV without using client hooks? I suspect this is not possible.
- If it’s not possible, would it make sense to add a LV binding that disables default actions? Something like:
phx-prevent-default. Would anybody else find this useful? If not, why?
Thanks for any comment!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mindok
Ha - found this looking for a solution. So looks like it will be a hook unless someone has a better idea…
trisolaran
Thanks. If you find a better way to do it I’d be interested
Xty
One approach that I have used in the past to get around the “Submit form on enter” is described in this StackOverflow post: https://stackoverflow.com/a/51507806
It boils down to placing a disabled invisible submit button before a visible submit button in the DOM, which will prevent the form from submitting on Enter.
trisolaran
@Xty yes that works thanks. It’s a good old trick
However, that requires the ability to modify the form. My use case is a bit different: I’m developing an input component that will be used as a library by others, and I would like the component to be able to say “don’t submit on enter” because it uses the enter key as part of its internal behavior. Hooks work fine for that, and as far as I know, they are the only option for now.
user20230119
This worked for me.