gganapat

gganapat

Hi:

I need to pass an array to a Python script through a Port where the values in array are quoted. So, how do I convert

[1,2,3,4]

to

"[1,2,3,4]"

Thanks!

gani-

Showing Posts 1 to 9

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Perhaps this?

iex> inspect [1,2,3,4]
"[1, 2, 3, 4]"
gganapat

gganapat OP

Yes, that works! I just found another way in the documentation which is more convoluted but works just the same.

p1 = press = 0..10 |> Enum.to_list()
p2= Macro.to_string(quote do: unquote(p1))
#=> "[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]"
EddTally

EddTally

You could also use Jason.encode!

iex(8)> Jason.encode!([1, 2, 3, 4])
"[1,2,3,4]"

It might also help with code readability.

You will need to add it to your mix.exs file if it isn’t already included

defp deps do
  [
    {:jason, "~> 1.2"}
  ]
end
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’d strongly suggest using a data format known to both the elixir and the python side – like json. Inspect converts terms to a string representation in elixir syntax. This is not meant to work with python (even if it might in some places).

gganapat

gganapat OP

Thanks!
gani-

mpope

mpope

I’ve had great success using this module with python ports: GitHub - okeuday/erlang_py: Erlang External Term Format for Python · GitHub

adamu

adamu

Here’s another one:

iex> "[#{Enum.join([1,2,3,4], ",")}]"
"[1,2,3,4]

Or you could pass it as an iolist:

iex> IO.puts ["[", Enum.join([1,2,3,4], ","), "]"]
[1,2,3,4]

Actually, I’m not sure now if you actually want to include the " or whether you just wanted a string representing an array.

mindok

mindok

Until you do:

iex> inspect [100, 101, 102]
"'def'"

:wink:

Personally, I’d use one of the more formal, established approaches for coaxing data across the Elixir/Python divide, such as JSON or Erlang_py discussed above. The corner cases have been sorted so you don’t have to.

FWIW - You can fix the inspect approach with the charlists option:

iex(5)> inspect [100, 101, 102], charlists: :as_lists
"[100, 101, 102]"
gganapat

gganapat OP

Thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews