Max

Max

Hi,

how do i add unaccent (already works on psql server) to the following query:

|> where( [a, b], ilike(a.title, ^“%#{search_string}%”) or ilike(b.name, ^“%#{search_string}%”)

I know something with fragment. But not sure how to add it. Would really appreciate any help here.

thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Hello Max,

I am having trouble understanding your questions. Do you mean escaping? Do you want to escape the search string?

Could you provide us with a small example of what you are looking for?

Max

Max OP

Sorry for not beeing clear. For example: I have a user Horváth. Now if i search the name by typing Horvath ( a instead of á) there is no result. To ignore the accent postgres can use the extension unaccent.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE unaccent(lastname) = unaccent(‘Horváth’)

Now i don´t know how to combine ilike with unaccent.

Thanks for looking into it.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Would something like this be what you are looking for ?

Max

Max OP

No. But thank you for your suggention. Might come handy another time. I need a query with unaccent and ilike together.

NobbZ

NobbZ

To be honest, this will probably result in a linear scan of the table. Therefore I’d add an indexed column, which contains the unaccented name while not using like and friends unless necessary.

Max

Max OP

Thanks. But i don´t get it where the problem lies. The raw postgres query is somehow simple. Besides from ilike i tried the following but get an error that there is no function unaccent:

|> where(
      [a],
      fragment("unaccent(?)", ^search_string) == fragment("unaccent(?)", a.lastname)
    )

A second column would only be the last ( very last :slight_smile: ) option

NobbZ

NobbZ

But a solution that can benefit from an index and therefore make the query returning much faster…

NobbZ

NobbZ

Aside of that, please take a look at the generated query, does it look like you expect it? Does it work if you send that query to the DB directly?

Max

Max OP

You are absolutly right with the index and the performance. But it is not so relevant here.

But …

Got it working :slight_smile:

Here for anybody might looking for the same thing:

    |> where(
      [a],
      fragment("unaccent(?) ILIKE unaccent(?)", a.lastname, ^"%#{search_string}%")
    )
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

For note, just unaccenting won’t find slight misspelling and similar phenomes and so forth. If you are using PostgreSQL (as stated above) then you really should use it’s language lookup system (tsvector’s and all). It is significantly more powerful, more useful, and will also be faster than using ILIKE.

Also, you really don’t want to accept user string when using ILIKE/LIKE as it is quite possible to craft some exponentially bad lookups via it that can bring your database to a crawl or death.

A quick no-index setup but significantly more useful and safe than ILIKE while returning much better results would be something like changing your example into:

    |> where(
      [a],
      fragment("to_tsvector(?) @@ to_tsquery(?)", a.lastname, ^search_string)
    )

And there are tons of options on how to control it as well, but the defaults are perfectly fine for 95% of cases.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews