laiboonh
Hi all,
I am trying to convince my team to use liveview over the current react. What are some of the points where one should consider using liveview instead of react?
To start off:
- Using one language to code frontend and back saves us from context switching
- Arguably easier to do as there will no need for data serialising and de-seriialising or REST
- …
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
egze
What’s in it for you? Why are you trying to convince them?
Curious to hear more of your own arguments. (Not saying it’s a bad initiative, but trying to make you express your own reasons, and not the forums)
kanishka
I am new to liveview, familiar with elm, rescript-react, angular, and various ssr solutions before SPA’s came around.
I am trying to figure out if there are operational downsides to using liveview, since it sounds like liveview changes you from running a mostly stateless backend to a stateful backend? Do you have to put more effort into horizontal scaling and thinking about node fail over?
laiboonh
Mainly because i am allergic to javascript.
kanishka
Elm is great fun, if js is your only objection, but I love the simplicity of server side, no API
laiboonh
Im a fan of elm as well. Keep a look out for this GitHub - gren-lang/compiler: Compiler for the Gren programming language · GitHub.
cblavier
If you’re fond of automated testing, you can argue that it is way easier to test Liveview code than React.
mindok
Have you read the history lesson on why liveview came to be? You may get some answers there.
tj0
That’s a pretty long article, but there’s probably 1000 words on phoenix liveview performance, maintainability, etc.. but at the end of the day it really depends on your application.
tfwright
For me the biggest advantage is keeping all data management in one place. With a react front end, you basically have 2 applications, and each requires its own set of patterns, tests, etc to deal with state. In comparison with just react (it is of course possible, arguably necessary, to leverage other libs to help) live view is a lot more equipped to do this in a robust, reliable way.
In my experience, unless you have absolute top of the line expert react devs, you are looking at 3 or 4 or even more times as much dev time.
I guess this falls under “no need for API” but i feel that formulation drastically undersells the advantage.
DevotionGeo
It’s a nice post by Chris McCord!
LiveView is a very big thing in Web Development history. We need to have a documentary live the Elixir Documentary.