William

William

I would like to know that is there any online source for learning Phoenix Framework for building E-Commerce Store? Any advantage on building E-Commerce store with Phoenix compare to ROR?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

andre1sk

andre1sk

There are a lot of variables if you like ROR more then Phoenix and store will not have very high traffic and you do not need real time features, there is nothing wrong with using ROR.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’m very interested in this as well. As a guy who is stuck maintaining a legacy Spree project and is actively learning Elixir for around 2 months now, I very much would like to use – or if it comes to it, create! – a Spree connector or drop-in replacement in Elixir so I can finally move that monster into a healthier ecosystem than a Rails project with 50+ gems which needs 40 seconds to even launch on Heroku (and that’s without the cache warming post-release deployment hook).

@niccolox Thanks for the links. I subscribed to NectarCommerce and when I get some free time, I’ll definitely be checking them out, and maybe help them as well.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any tool in Elixir that can consume (and optionally migrate) a Spree database to NectarCommerce database, or any other Elixir e-commerce framework for that matter?

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

There was at one point a group of people with some Spree experience looking to expand into Elixir, but it has died. I was one of them – at work I manage a fork of code from solidus/spree and would love to go to elixir, but the business case is not there for me.

niccolox

niccolox

this one seems to mostly work
https://github.com/authentic-pixels/ex-shop

imho an elixir phoenix ecommerce app should be something new and different to spree or woocommerce or magento or whatever

I experimented with both spree and woo and I was kind of underwhelmed… they work just fine, its just tired imho

I dont know quite what yet, but if you look at the chat app ecommerce stuff for facebook messenger and the super streamline ecommerce node style UX out there …

well, its just feels like websockets and or elm should be driving this more

just my blue sky ideas

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I don’t have a business case myself for this as well. But as a senior programmer I don’t want to just pat myself on the back when learning Elixir professionally; I am not satisfied even with moderate difficulty tutorials. I want real and sellable project to work on.

I’d like to make a real education out of converting a legacy Spree project into a NectarCommerce (or another some such framework). I’d be more than willing to share the process in a series of blog posts or even create a tool to migrate a Spree-powered DB to Nectar-powered DB.

The difficulty with this is that Spree definitely has more features than Nectar and as such, my initial intention looks impossible. I’d have to both actively contribute to Nectar and gradually migrate my legacy Spree app almost at the same time. Not sure I’ll have the time or energy for that.

Are there any lessons learned from that initial effort you’d be willing to share?

andre1sk

andre1sk

There is whole bunch of people in this thread who are interested in the idea but do not have enough time to make it happen maybe if we take count it will turn out that collectively we actually do have enough time and resources.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

There’s not much to share. Some people wanted a pretty direct clone, which I was against. I envision some sort of OTP umbrella app which provides a default inventory_app, catalog_app, and ordering_app which, while they have some hook points for customizability, also offer complete replacement options.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Oh, I definitely would be against a clone myself. Elixir and Erlang/OTP bring unique opportunities to the table and we should absolutely and 100% utilize them.

I have a few ideas for several scripts which would try and validate compatibility with a Spree DB but nothing beyond that. I’d be interested in a drop-in replacement for Spree but only in functionality; not in implementation details, not even in philosophy. But it’s best not to talk a lot without actually having the time and energy to commit to such an enterprise properly.

As it is, I don’t even know where to start if I were to start right now. :smiley:

William

William OP

I am currently managing a magento base ecommerce site. I am looking for an ecommerce solution by using Elixir Phoenix. Hopefully there will be book/tutorial on building an Ecommerce/Shopping cart.

By the way, are you still managing Spree ecommerce site? If yes, how is it?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Chat/Questions Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews