dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Hey everybody,
The purpose of this thread is to answer three questions:

  1. How do we go about upgraging an Ecto 2.2.x adapter that is not on the latest 2.2.x version, to the latest 2.2.x version?
  2. How do we go about upgraging an adapter that is at the latest Ecto 2.2.x version, to Ecto 3.1.x?
  3. How do we go about making an Ecto 3.1.x adapter from scratch?

I apologise to the people I mentioned via an @ in advance. Making this crystal clear here and now: I do not ask those people to produce any code, I am asking them only to help me gather an authoritative collection of informational resources to get me and other interested maintainers started.


I would like to modernise the Sqlite database support in Elixir. This means two things:

  1. (OPTIONAL) Contribute to sqlite_ecto2 so it works with the latest Ecto 2.2.x version (as of the time of this post, 2.2.12). This is mostly for exercise and to dip my toes and hopefully learn well how to approach the Ecto 3.1.x work. If this proves to consume unjustified amounts of energy and time and/or turns out to be unrelated to the Ecto 3.1.x work then I might drop it.

  2. (MAIN GOAL) Make a new library that brings Sqlite to Ecto 3.1.x (as of the time of this post, 3.1.6).

I have tracked several resources:


@michalmuskala Pointed at two useful pages to get new maintainers started here:

There is also another post on his blog – Creating Ecto Adapters – but it’s from 2015 and I am not sure if it’s still relevant.


@jwarlander contributed a link to the MyXQL adapter development blog series: Building a new MySQL adapter for Ecto, Part I: Hello World (links to the rest of the articles are inside this one, and every subsequent one as well).


Additional honorable mentions with a plea for other and/or more modern articles: @josevalim, @ericmj, @wojtekmach, @fishcakez and @whatyouhide.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

jwarlander

jwarlander

It’s a great collection of resources you’ve started on, @dimitarvp! It reminds me that I saw an interesting blog post series about implementing an Ecto adapter (by @wojtekmach, on the Plataformatec blog):

Building a new MySQL adapter for Ecto, Part I: Hello World

I’ve always meant to take a deep dive into that one, and see if I can piece together something useful.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

Really valuable link, forgot about it and thank you for bringing it up! Still reading, and gathering a lot of useful info from it. Also added your link to the entire list.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews