Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

My typst package was recently updated, and I wanted to release a new version. I am using rustler precompiled to precompile the rust bindings to typst.

although the change to the code was minimal, the compilation for 2 targets fails with a segfault.

Compiling typst_nif v0.1.1 (/home/runner/work/typst/typst/native/typst_nif)
error: rustc interrupted by SIGSEGV, printing backtrace
...
help: you can increase rustc's stack size by setting RUST_MIN_STACK=16777216
error: could not compile `typst_nif` (lib)
Caused by:
  process didn't exit successfully: `rustc --crate-name typst_nif --edition=2021 src/lib.rs --error-format=json --json=diagnostic-rendered-ansi,artifacts,future-incompat --crate-type cdylib --emit=dep-info,link -C opt-level=3 -C lto --cfg 'feature="default"' --cfg 'feature="nif_version_2_15"' --check-cfg 'cfg(docsrs,test)' --check-cfg 'cfg(feature, values("default", "nif_version_2_15", "nif_version_2_16", "nif_version_2_17"))' -C metadata=684f38727e91bcf8 --out-dir /target/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps --target aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu -C linker=aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc -C strip=debuginfo -L dependency=/target/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps -L dependency=/target/release/deps --extern comemo=/target/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libcomemo-c278774ab144f6c8.rlib --extern rustler=/target/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/librustler-c7f63b2eafc93dbf.rlib --extern tar=/target/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libtar-5166b6795e27638f.rlib --extern time=/target/aarch64-unknown-linux-
Done.

Full log

I followed the directions and added a step to the workflow to set the RUST_MIN_STACK env var,

- name: Set Rust stack size
  shell: bash
  run: |
    echo "RUST_MIN_STACK=16777216" >> $GITHUB_ENV

But alas this doesn’t make a difference.

Has anyone encountered something similar and know how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Herman

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

Reading throught the docs for rustler-precompiled, I added:

[build.env]
passthrough = [ "RUST_MIN_STACK" ]

to my Cargo.toml, but still the same error.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I would try the following:

  • Only one NIF version to try and isolate the problem;
  • Make sure you’re not using nightly Rust.
Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

Hey @dimitarvp, what do you mean by your first point?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I meant those:

--cfg 'feature="nif_version_2_15"'

I would try with the newest first.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

Oh I see, this is handled by (I think) by the nif: ["2.15"] in the workflow. I updated it to include 2.17, but the same 2 fail with the same error.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

I just tried changing from Ubuntu 22.04 → 24.04 but that doesn’t help either.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Hm, which Rust version?

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

rustc 1.87.0

Hmm, when I look at the previous release’s actions, they were using rustc 1.86.0.
But I don’t know if I can specify that anywhere.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

I changed the workflow to use:

- name: Install Rust
  uses: dtolnay/rust-toolchain@stable
  with:
    toolchain: 1.86.0  # Specify your desired Rust version
    targets: ${{ matrix.job.target }}

instead of

- name: Add target
  shell: bash
  run: |
    rustup target add ${{ matrix.job.target }}

Now it uses rust 1.86 and that works!

Thanks for the assist!

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Whoa, that would be pretty nasty if they broke it in Rust 1.87. :confused:

Glad you fixed it!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews