ericgray

ericgray

A friend asked me if I could convert their Ecommerce store from the Wix platform over to Shopify but is open to whatever technology I use. I know Shopify is tailor made for Ecommerce but I’m tempted to create a custom app using Phoenix.

The problem is Phoenix doesn’t seem to have too may stable ecommerce libs to utilize but I love Elixir and I’m always coming up with any excuse to use it. I don’t need anything fancy, they only sell around 30 products. Should I give Phoenix a shot or just use Shopify?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Most

Most

If it were a personal project then it could be a fun learning experience to build it with Phoenix, but for a client where time is of the essence I wouldn’t try reinventing the wheel for my own sake. An ecommerce site has all sorts of moving parts under the hood that would take quite a while to get even halfway to what shopify offers, the #1 thing being the seller dashboard where they can manage their business, sells, inventory, chargebacks etc.

Gotta use the right tools for the job.

If you decide to go with Phoenix though, this thread should be a good resource: Resources for building an e-commerce store in Phoenix?

ericgray

ericgray OP

Yep it would be a great learning experience for me. My heart was telling me Phoenix but my mind was saying Shopify. Thanks for your input.

Ninigi

Ninigi

I’ve been building Shopify integrations and apps for about 4 years now, about 2 of them I’ve been using elixir / phoenix for that purpose as well. From what I can tell you, setting up a Shopify shop for your friend does not mean you wont get a chance to use phoenix :wink:

As you can see here Shopify is highly customizable and provides a lot of opportunities to build custom solutions.

I started writing a guide how to do embedded apps but I’ve since learned a lot and have to revisit it (untill last year, I had never done an embedded app in phoenix, only “supporting” APIs and private apps, but I think I have a pretty good grip on it now.)

I would be happy to welcome you in the unofficial club of elixir Shopify app developers :slight_smile:

hassan

hassan

That said, there are features that Shopify doesn’t provide out of
the box that can be delivered by plugging in 3rd-party apps.

Identify a nice-to-have enhancement for your friend and build that
in Elixir - best of both worlds :grinning_face:

ericgray

ericgray OP

Wow that’s pretty cool, I never realized how much you could customize Shopify apps. This gives me an opportunity to still use Phoenix. I’m definitely going to read that article and when I get this project going I’d love to be a part of the club. Thanks!!!

mikemccall

mikemccall

I second giving shopify a go. Using Shopify and building apps for it is my bread and butter. There’s a lot of opportunity to customize processes for specific use cases for both private and public apps. Let shopify handle the hard (boring?) part. Have fun building integrations with elixir and profit :smile:.

Where do I pay my membership dues? I just started using GitHub - nsweeting/shopify: Easily access the Shopify API with Elixir. · GitHub about 2 months and it’s really nice. I am using it to migrate an existing app. Good work to you all.

Ninigi

Ninigi

Membership fees are implicitly payed by contributing :wink:

sanswork

sanswork

I would 100% avoid a custom app unless you are comfortable providing free development consulting to your friend for the rest of his businesses life. Shopify will be hundreds of times better than anything you will build for free for a friend. They have had like a decade to handle edge cases too.

ericgray

ericgray OP

Yeah, I’ve come to my senses. You guys have talked me off the ledge. Thanks to @Ninigi, @hassan, and @mikemccall, I’m very much interested in using Elixir for Shopify Integrations. I didn’t even consider that or even think it was possible.

sanswork

sanswork

Glad to hear. I’ve gone down the custom route too many times myself lol. A few times in e-commerce

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews