spencer.christensen

spencer.christensen

I’m going through Tate and DeBenedetto’s Programming Phoenix LiveView and observed the code below.

  defp assign_chart_svg(%{assigns: %{chart: chart}} = socket) do
    socket
    |> assign(:chart_svg, render_bar_chart(chart, title(), subtitle(), x_axis(), y_axis()))
  end

  defp title do
    "Product Ratings"
  end

  defp subtitle do
    "Average star ratings per product"
  end

  defp x_axis do
    "products"
  end

  defp y_axis do
    "stars"
  end

As somebody new to functional programming, I’m wondering whether this granular-level of function definitions is typical? I can see some options:

  • it is idiomatic and a best practice to wrap strings in a function.
  • it is only a best practice to wrap a string in a function when the function name can clarify the purpose of the string (“stars” is not as descriptive as y_axis)
  • it is unusual and is likely being done to account for some sort of future abstraction that relies on a callback of said functions

I’m not arguing for or against anything, just curious for best-practices and idiomatic Elixir use of string binaries. Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

mindok

mindok

Probably a more common alternative in Elixir would be to use module attributes. e.g.:

@title "Product Ratings"
@subtitle "Average star ratings per product"
@x_axis "products"
@y_axis "stars"

  defp assign_chart_svg(%{assigns: %{chart: chart}} = socket) do
    socket
    |> assign(:chart_svg, render_bar_chart(chart, @title, @subtitle, @x_axis, @y_axis))
  end
mindok

mindok

…However, module attributes are private to a module, so to expose them to other modules you would need to use a public function, e.g.

@title "Product Ratings"
@subtitle "Average star ratings per product"
@x_axis "products"
@y_axis "stars"

  defp assign_chart_svg(%{assigns: %{chart: chart}} = socket) do
    socket
    |> assign(:chart_svg, render_bar_chart(chart, @title, @subtitle, @x_axis, @y_axis))
  end

  def the_same_title_we_use_everywhere(), do: @title # or "Product Ratings"
sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Ya, what @mindok said. I have have barely read any of that book so maybe there are going somewhere with it and will flesh it out later? Wrapping strings in functions as a general rule certainly isn’t a “thing” though. I’ve never done it and this is the first time I’ve seen code that does it (I’ve been doing Elixir for around 5 years).

From what I have read of the book, though, they do extract far more than I personally care to. There are lots of small single-user private functions that don’t really read any better than the bare code in my view. I’m not implying the book is bad by any means (how could I know? …and all of Sophie’s stuff I have read and watched is amazing) and while idiomatic Elixir is certainly a thing, it’s not super obsessive and people have varying styles.

EDIT: One reason I can think of to use functions is that heex overloads @ to access assigns. So if you have

@title "Product Ratings"

def assign_thing(socket) do
  assign(socket, :title, @title)
end

def render(assigns) do
  ~H"""
  <%= @title %>
  """
end

That reads super confusingly because the @title in the render function is referring to :title in the socket, not the module attribute @title.

That’s total guess, though.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

render_bar_chart(chart, title(), subtitle(), x_axis(), y_axis()))

IMO this would be clearer as a function that took chart and a keyword list:

render_bar_chart(chart, title: "Product Ratings", subtitle: "...", etc etc)

That avoids the confusion of “what the heck ARE all these unnamed literal positional args” while not spamming private functions.

christhekeele

christhekeele

This is correct—it is a conceit they are using to keep the examples focused to the “lesson” at hand: learning Liveview; and to leave “room to grow” the examples with later functionality.

@mindok’s posts concerning module attributes are the idiomatic approach to this! But you can see why introducing those patterns don’t serve what is being taught: instructive writing can be weird like that sometimes.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews