zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The underpinnings of Ash Framework are its DSL building and extending tools. Given that the DSL tooling underpinning Ash is, by design, made to allow extension by end users, it fits for it to be its own tool. While its not the simplest way to build a DSL in elixir, there are a few things that you can get out of the box:

  • Extensibility. Anyone can write extensions for your DSL.
  • Autocomplete and in-line documentation: An elixir_sense plugin that “Just Works” for any DSL implemented with Spark. i.e ElixirLS will autocomplete and show in-line documentation in any supported editor.
  • Tools to generate documentation for your DSL automatically.
  • Tools to create rich library documentation. AshHq’s documentation is all derived from Spark.DocIndex.
  • A mix task to add every part of the DSL to the locals_without_parens of your library automatically.

There is still tons of work to be done to document and test this stuff now that it lives outside of Ash Framework, but it seems to me like something that could be useful for anyone who wants to build DSLs without having to do all the complex work listed above. I’m sure there are many ways to improve the library. The next big thing on the roadmap for me is… generators :partying_face:. Any DSL module will support these generators out of the box, and they will be more powerful than standard generators, supporting file creations, additions, removals, modifications and file deletions. This will make it really easy to provide one-liner commands that can be used to get started very quickly, as well as commands to make modifications to your DSLs.

Anyway, anyone that is interested should feel free to contact me and/or dive in :slight_smile:

https://github.com/ash-project/spark

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews