Sqlite_ecto2 new maintainer

databases
nerves
sqlite
ecto
ecto_sqlite2

In this post, Eric Scouten and I noted that i would be helping out maintain sqlite_ecto2. It’s pretty well known that I have a soft spot in my heart for sqlite, and this project is pretty important to me both professionally and personally.

i use it professionally for Farmbot and I also use it for a number of personal projects usually in the embedded/Nerves space.

Since i do use it in a production application, I’m hoping to give it a bit of love over the course of the next few months. That being said i’m no expert with Ecto itself, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve set up a new GitHub Organization here and moved the sqlite_ecto2 repo there also. I also created a channel on the Elixir-Lang slack called #sqlite.

If you’re new to sqlite and are interested in using it with Elixir (or Nerves) i actually wrote a blog post about it here

Update

@mmmries Has agreed to move sqlitex to the new Sqlite-Ecto org also. :boom:

21 Likes

Take good care of it, Connor. :slight_smile:

Glad to see it get some overdue love.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for getting it as far as it is today! i use it in production currently and it’s been good to me. Time i repaid the favor!

3 Likes

Amazing way to step forward for the tools you use and rely on :slight_smile: Looking forward to seeing your work going forward, and super nice to see things like sqlitex joing in as well … great community spirit in Elixir!

3 Likes

Really excited to help out with the sqlite_ecto stuff. I hope this can make sqlitex more useful for more people and make production uses of sqlite more practical.

4 Likes

Hey @ConnorRigby, do you have plans making an sqlite_ecto3 library?

I’m very interested in using such a thing. Do you have a roadmap on how hard it would be to migrate from Ecto 2.2 to 3.x?

1 Like

Yes i do plan on it at some point, but i haven’t had time to actually do it yet.

there is an open issue about it here as well as a tracking branch for the latest Ecto 2.x.x release.
There is no hard defined roadmap currently, as i don’t need any ecto3 features as of right now, but the general list of things that will need to happen is:

• update to the latest ecto 2.x.x release (there are issues with this currently)
  • rename/fork sqlite_ecto2 to sqlite_ecto or sqlite_ecto3
  • follow the outline defined in this post

I would love some help with this as i just don’t really have the time/ability to do so as of right now because ecto2 is working fine for me currently.

2 Likes

I actually wanted to help you with this… I even forked it and added some commits at https://github.com/DiodonHystrix/sqlite_ecto2/commits/my-fixes It’s a bit messy, but there weren’t that many changes from 2.2.9 to 2.2.11 (latest version)
I also have another branch for Ecto3 changes, but it’s still very very WIP

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the best strategy for creating a pull request to support the latest Ecto 2 version?
Should I rebase from that tracking branch and advance commits one by one?
Also on the master supported version is: {:ecto, "2.2.9"} while on the tracking branch you are at 2.2.6 or something. So which one is the right one?:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@DiodonHystrix i would love your latest 2.2.11 changes. Don’t worry about them being too messy as that can be cleaned up. Please open a PR whenever you feel you are ready.

0 Likes