Maxximiliann
My Elixir project must rely on PyWaves, a Python library, to execute trades. Erlport and Pyrlang looked like attractive solutions for reliable connectivity between the two but, after further inspection, it appears both projects have been abandoned.
gRPC seems to be a viable alternative but before going down that rabbit hole I have to ask, are there any actively maintained libraries that offer simple, featherweight, direct solutions to establishing, maintaining and monitoring communications between Elixir and Python codebases running on the same machine?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
You can use regular ports (Erlport is just wrapper on top of that) or C-Nodes.
mindok
This is a great article showing exactly what it means to use ports to connect Elixir & Python (for a different use case): Real-time Object Detection with Phoenix and Python
Maxximiliann
@hauleth @mindok
Thank you both for your recommendations!
Now, it seems that it’s possible to supervise multiple, concurrent instances of a Python process by simply assigning a distinct port to each one or am I mistaken?
mindok
I believe so - a single Elixir process can control multiple ports, and you can obviously also have multiple processes controlling one or more ports.
Also, another article that is worth reading is The Erlangelist - Outside Elixir
skosch
Shameless plug: there is a small Python library called erlastic that handles the conversion between Erlang’s and Python’s internal encoding of strings, numbers, objects etc. It’s not mine but I maintain a fork here which AFAIK is the most up-to-date version. I’ve been using this thing with ports for years – I outsource numerical computation jobs to Python scripts, and it works great.
Maxximiliann
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll definitely check it out! It seems the readme doesn’t have install instructions/requirements. Where do I find these?
skosch
Sorry, good question! I should put it on PyPi. You should be able to install it directly from Github though; I simply use
pip3 install git+https://github.com/skosch/python-erlastic.Maxximiliann
Gotcha, thanks!