samgaw

samgaw

There are already a couple of helper packages on Github to manage inlining external SVG files into templates which is great from a readability point of view. However I’m guessing because of the way templates are evaluated, EEx tags treated as strings.

Taking the thoughtbot package as the base for a simple example, do something along the lines of:

def inline_svg(file_name) do
  path = static_path(file_name)
  case File.read(path) do
    {:ok, file} -> {:safe, file}
    {:error, _} -> raise "No SVG found at #{path}"
  end
end

defp static_path(file_name) do
  path = "assets/static/svg"
  [path, "#{file_name}.svg"] |> Path.join() |> Path.expand
end

That will render the SVG but include the EEx as strings rather than the output of <%= some_func() %> included in the SVG file as expected because of the {:ok, file} -> {:safe, file}. But removing that and going with {:ok, file} -> (file), or wrapping the svg_inline() function with raw() still doesn’t give me the desired outcome.

So I’m wondering where in Phoenix’s order should I be attempting to run this so that tags included in the inlined SVG are rendered as expected?

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hauleth

hauleth

As far as “pure” EEx is concerned there is absolute no difference, as raw EEx do not care about “tags”, as it do not understands them. If you are talking about Phoenix HTML, then code you have presented should work as expected. Are you sure that returned string is wrapped in tuple?

mindok

mindok

There’s a discussion on run-time loading and execution of Eex templates here: Dynamic EEx templates for web app - #7 by OvermindDL1

It sounds like the tags aren’t being evaluated because the templates aren’t getting compiled into functions.

samgaw

samgaw OP

Yeah this is purely in the context of Phoenix HTML.

I created a quick repo to demonstrate the issue. Using the function above, it’s definitely returning the tuple:

> DynImg.inline_svg("eex_test")
{:safe,
 "<svg width=\"100%\" height=\"60px\" viewBox=\"0 0 113 60\" version=\"1.1\" xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/2000/svg\" xmlns:xlink=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink\">\n\t<g stroke=\"none\" stroke-width=\"1\" fill=\"none\" fill-rule=\"evenodd\" font-family=\"ArialMT, Arial\" font-size=\"24\" font-weight=\"normal\">\n<g transform=\"translate(-244.000000, -76.000000)\" fill=\"#000\">\n<text>\n                <tspan x=\"240.822\" y=\"122\"><%= \"Inlined by function\" %></tspan>\n</text>\n</g>\n    </g>\n</svg>"}

and for plain old SVG images it works exactly as expected. It’s only when I try to inline files with <%= %>, essentially treating the SVGs as templates that I have a problem.

Following @mindok’s link I seem to have to explicitly call EEx, in this case Phoenix.HTML.Engine and pass it through again but after spending the morning on it I’m not sure if I’m even any closer to an answer.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Your problem is that you’re using a function here. The function will be called at runtime, but at runtime the svg’s won’t be available (when using releases) or at least the path might no longer match. You’d want to use a macro, so you read the svg’s content at compile time and only have the result inlined with all the other eex template contents.

samgaw

samgaw OP

Thanks @LostKobrakai.

Chatting on IRC I was pointed towards macros as well. Thinking about it, it does make sense it just never crossed my mind to consider the difference between macros & functions.

Writing macros isn’t something I’m familiar with so it’ll probably take me a while to rtfm.

hauleth

hauleth

Your macro:

defmacro inline_svg(file_name) do
  path = static_path(file_name)
  case File.read(path) do
    {:ok, file} -> quote do: {:safe, unquote(file)}
    {:error, _} -> raise "No SVG found at #{path}"
  end
end
samgaw

samgaw OP

Thanks @hauleth but same issue after importing your macro into the view (https://github.com/samgaw/dynimg).

samgaw

samgaw OP

Yeah that was one I had tried and linked above. Unfortunately it inlines the SVG file after the template has been evaluated so any EEx tags included appear as strings.

I never worked out a clean way of doing it, and ended up resorting to treating the SVGs template partials and calling them with render/3. I’ll maybe swing back to it at some stage just to make things a little prettier but inlining them as an EEx template does the same job.

I’ve also been keeping an eye on a lib from CoinGaming called Bennu which looks promising, as well as Surface. Those approaches may end up being a better answer.

AndyL

AndyL

@samgaw hmm. Here’s a link to the module with my working code. Maybe this will give you some clues to get things sorted out! :wink:

https://github.com/andyl/phoenix_live_editable/blob/master/lib/phoenix_live_editable/svg.ex

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews