JoeZMar

JoeZMar

I am attempting to make a web scraper that started out as a tool for just one person. As word got around I am finding out that there is actually somewhat of a need for this service. I started out building this with the intention of learning how to integrate OTP into a phoenix app and so far so good.

The scraper itself requires a user to log in to the targeted SPA, and monitor items in an auction board. When an item drops that fits the users parameters, it alerts the user. Right now I am using Hound and PhantomJS headless so that JS is rendered, but it was also just a choice I made when I was thinking about using this for just one person.

What are some common pitfalls that I should make sure that I am watching out for when making requests from several different users? I am making sure that each user is using the same User Agent each request, but how would I go about setting a proxy for each connection? I ask this because currently I have one user that will log in and monitor the trading board pulling in each new “item” that gets put up, but I would like to eventually implement the “purchase” with the bot as well. For that I would need my application to login as the other user and make the purchase. I am currently having the user log in and my application stores their cookie for credentials for that part and not their actual credentials for the site.

What is the legality of using a bot to log in to another site as well? Is there a proper way to scrape a site that uses authorization? If anyone that has experience scraping sites at a large scale I would love to talk with them outside of the forums and possibly get some more advice.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

arnodirlam

arnodirlam

As a first pointer, there was a really nice talk at ElixirConf 2019 by Adam Mokan on exactly that topic:

JoeZMar

JoeZMar OP

I coincidentally sent him a PM yesterday because of some of his responses on the forum to scraping. I didn’t realize he had a talk. Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews