MitchellJeppson

MitchellJeppson

Using the JS.focus() function to set the focus to a text field does not work as expected on mobile.

I have the following simplified live view:

defmodule ExampleWeb.Live.ExampleLive do
  use ExampleWeb, :live_view

  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <.button phx-click={JS.focus(to: "#my_text_area")}>Click me to focus</.button>

    <input type="text" id="my_text_area" />
    """
  end
end

When I click the button via my desktop browser it works as expected, I get a blinking cursor in the text box and it is outlined in blue to signal it is selected. But when I do the same on my mobile I only get the blue outline, no blinking cursor and the keyboard doesn’t pop up like you would expect if you had selected a text field.

Tried on chrome and safari, same behavior.

The only thing I can find that might be the cause is here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54049029/focus-doesnt-work-on-chrome-mobile-when-not-activated-with-click-workaround

essentially: mobile browsers require an actual user interaction to have happened not too long before the focus is programmatically triggered

Maybe something with how LiveView is handling the event makes the browser think it is no longer valid and won’t allow programatic focus anymore?

Any input is appreciated :heart:

Showing Posts 1 to 7

alexanders

alexanders

Looks like that’s just the way it works on iOS. Programmatically triggered focus doesn’t show the keyboard, but apply focus styles. I don’t think it has anything to do with LiveView because if you use plain JS, it will do exactly the same. And recent interaction doesn’t seem to help because if you warp focus into setTimeout it still doesn’t work. On Android it shows keyboard.

MitchellJeppson

MitchellJeppson OP

It does, but only under strict circumstances, of which I can’t find the exact requirements. But if you replace the whole focus thing with a hook and do it all with vanilla js then it works as expected, even on mobile.

example_live.ex

defmodule IssueExampleWeb.Live.ExampleLive do
  use IssueExampleWeb, :live_view

  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <.button id="my_button" phx-hook="MyHook">Click me to focus using phx</.button>

    <input type="text" id="my_text_area" />
    """
  end
end

MyHook.js

export default MyHook = {
    mounted() {
        button = document.getElementById("my_button");

        button.addEventListener("click", (event) => {
            console.log("handling click");

            const textarea = document.getElementById("my_text_area");

            textarea.focus();
        });
    },
};
arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Just so we’re all clear here, when you say “mobile”, you mean “iOS”? Or are you testing on Android as well?

MitchellJeppson

MitchellJeppson OP

Yea, good callout. I am testing on iOS, using safari and chrome. Would super appreciate if anyone with an android device could verify the same behavior or not.

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

OK so I tested out your example code on a couple devices, and my experiences (on iOS) match the issues you are describing.

Using JS.focus/2

iPhone 7, iOS 15, Safari: Does not focus (only applies focus CSS style to text box)

iPad 7th gen, iOS 17, Safari: Does not focus (only applies focus CSS style to text box)

Pixel 7, Android 13, Chrome: Focuses the text box and brings up the keyboard

Using hooks

iPhone 7, iOS 15, Safari: Focuses the text box and brings up the keyboard

iPad 7th gen, iOS 17, Safari: Focuses the text box and brings up the keyboard

Pixel 7, Android 13, Chrome: Focuses the text box and brings up the keyboard


It is worth mentioning that Chrome on iOS (like all iOS browsers) still uses Safari’s rendering engine (although not in the EU as of iOS 17.4 apparently), so iOS Chrome will likely have the same issue as Safari.


Based on my (limited) understanding of the situation, I would say that your suspicions are correct. At the very least, this situation warrants a new GitHub issue (I couldn’t find one on the topic, but I might not have looked hard enough).

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

This reminds me of another post on how WebKit used to require a whole rigamarole of propagating user gestures to call the WebAuthn API. Funnily enough, that discussion was also prompted by one of your questions. Requiring "native click listener" within LiveView for webauthn

Check out this answer on StackOverflow, the key bit is that HTMLElement.focus() needs to be called synchronously from the event handler like you’re doing in that hook. And from skimming the LiveView source code, I suspect the debouncing logic to LiveView bindings might be causing some unintended side effects here.
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/blob/d1250dc6541684fd19f5c8dd3aea692ad4b57950/assets/js/phoenix_live_view/live_socket.js#L658-L663

MitchellJeppson

MitchellJeppson OP

@arcanemachine thank you for testing both versions on iOS and android :heart:

@codeanpeace hey! :wave: good to chat again! Thanks for digging into that.

I created a bug ticket here, feel free to pipe in if I left anything out.

Appreciate you both, the elixir community rules :metal:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews