nonware

nonware

Hello! An Elixir neophyte here. I’d like to debug my code using VS Code. I saw in the ReadMe for ElixirLS you can sink breakpoints for one’s code and step through it, as one might with an IDE (or other language even in VS Code).

The code I am learning with I’ve compiled by running iex -S mix and I am invoking MyModule.my_function(someArg) but the breakpoint i placed in VS Code on some line in my_function is never hit. I do see that there is an open issue where one can’t debug in an iex -S mix session. So that brings me to my question: How do I hit this break point? Is there some setup in VS Code or something to pass to mix to enable debugging so I can hit the breakpoint in VS Code?

Thanks a bunch!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

mindok

mindok

Hi @nonware, this isn’t answering your question directly I know, but I tend to use an IO.inspect (or friends) either side of a function call as my primary debugging tool. Elixir is a functional language and by and large you put data into a function and get transformed data out with no side effects so I find this style of debugging quite effective for me personally. In addition, code recompile and reload in a running system is generally very quick and just works in Phoenix, so moving a few IO.inspects around while the system is running is no trouble. I coded a lot of .Net in the past and made heavy use of the Visual Studio debugging tools, which were excellent, but I honestly haven’t found the same need for that style of debugging (yet) in Elixir. In over 2 years I haven’t even taken the time to try and set them up.

I’d be keen to hear informed responses though - it’s probably about time I learned about it!

WFransen

WFransen

I’m personally a huge fan of IEx.pry.

There’s a great article on debugging, not necessarily with VsCode, but maybe this can be helpful. Debugging techniques in Elixir « Plataformatec Blog

Best of luck!

mike_bianco

mike_bianco

I’m having similar trouble with getting the vs code debugger working with elixir-ls. Would love to hear how folks are able to get the debugger working with ExUnit tests.

harmon25

harmon25

I am with @mindok on this one.
In a mutable language where variables can be changed under your nose, breakpoints are more useful in my opinion.

If you have such a big elixir/erlang function that you cannot keep track of the values of variables - and a breakpoint is the best(?) way to verify the value/state is what you expect; I think you may want to consider breaking that function up, so it is easier to comprehend.

Tools like :observer are also quite useful for real time debugging - as a breakpoint in the IDE does little to assist in understanding the rest of the state of the runtime at that point in time. This is a result of erlangs actor model, and concurrency characteristics - that traditional imperative languages do not use.

Also the built in :debugger module that opens a window will struggle in certain environments, like VScode + WSL, as there is not a xdisplay for the window. Not sure if this is what the elixir-ls breakpoint stuff relies on, but if developing in an environment that does not have native GUI capabilities, the functionality might not work.

Am also interested to hear compelling use cases for using breakpoints in the beam, as I might be missing something!

chrisdel101

chrisdel101

Did U ever figure this out? I’m looking for breakpoint usage specifically to get away from having to use inspect all the time.

lukaszsamson

lukaszsamson

ElixirLS Core Team

Attaching debugger to code running elsewhere (e.g. in terminal iex -S mix session) is currently not supported.
In order to debug and be able to hit breakpoints you need to run your code with a debugger. In VSCode go to Run And Debug tab ans choose an appropriate launch config. Alternatively you can debug tests from Testing tab or right clicking on an icon next to test definition and selecting Debug Test.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews