fklement
This is a thread to gather some information about the efforts of using elixir in combination with cars or vehicular systems in general.
I’m really interested in this area and would love to use elixir and its eco system (e.g. Raspberry PI running nerves).
So far I’ve found the following:
Libraries:
- NgCAN (a simple elixir library to read from and write to a CAN bus. since it uses socketCAN, it only runs on Linux.)
Talks:
Maybe some of you have some more links, libraries, or information.
That would be really great ![]()
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
There must be something, as IIRC QuickCheck was used in the automotive industry for testing some systems. But I cannot tell anything more.
About NgCAN, it seems that with OTP 23+ (or 24+) you do not need C code, as you can use
socketmodule instead (it allows any protocol ID, and these can be found viasocket:supports/{0,2}).fklement
Thanks for your response.
Yeah with NgCAN you should be right.
skyler
Hey @fklement, did you make progress here? I’m converting a Ford Transit into a vanlife/tinyhome and am building a Nerves/Phoenix dashboard for management of lighting, heating, etc. I have an OBDLink MX+ bluetooth OBD-II reader and am attempting to query vehicle data. Did you find more prior art or develop a solution yourself?
pay64k
Hey, for reading the vehicle data maybe you wanna checkout my latest project here
fklement
Hi @skyler first of all sorry for the late reply.
No, I would have loved to. But I decided not to use nerves for my project.
Regarding reading CAN data, I have started to develop a small library to facilitate the
candumptool for Linux. The library is called cannes (GitHub - fklement/cannes: A library for CAN written in Elixir · GitHub) and is in a very early stage. But I plan to develop it further after I finish my master thesis next month.(@pay64k This might be interesting for you to look into as well. Maybe we could work together to develop a unified CAN library for elixir. )
Thanks also to @pay64k for pointing out your project. I will definitely have a look at it.
pay64k
Definitely, it would be nice to be able to use CAN library for projects that includes reading data form car’s ECU. My project uses ELM327, which has some hiccups from time to time - I don’t know wether it’s caused by poor quality of my adapter or by the fact that it’s not fast enough (or maybe it’s the ECU). Problems appear when, for example I try to read a lot of data in short intervals (like 250 ms). I believe that eliminating ELM and talking directly over CAN would be faster.
On the other hand, getting ELM is way cheaper then a specialised CAN module/connector for RPi for example. But hey, I’d definitely like a smoother data refresh on my dashboard
AleksandarFilipov
I’ve been using elixir professionally in the automotive industry for a few years. One of the artifacts was open sourced and be found here GitHub - AleksandarFilipov/signalbroker-server: Development tool to read and write CAN/LIN/flexray and other buses using gRPC which allows usage of preferred language. · GitHub - it was previously hosted by and automotive company.
Today I’m working on a derivate (which is closed source) which is located here GitHub - beamylabs/beamylabs-start · GitHub (yep it’s a shameless plug) but nevertheless it might be fun knowing that stuff is ongoing.
I would have assumed that the mentioned open source project would be easy to find given that I’ve populated it will loads of automotive buzzwords.
mekusigjinn
I also found this: https://medium.com/@zolotarev_k/elixir-nerves-for-controlling-your-car-part-1-3474afed4749
How far have you gone? Can you share an update?
mlainez
Just found this thread while searching for folks using elixir for OBD, in case you aren’t aware, with two other folks, we’ve worked on a side project that allows to make parts from different manufacturers to talk together in the same vehicle. We used it to retrofit an old VW Polo and make it remote controled: Driving a car powered with Nerves and Elixir
We’ve also created a new library to interact with the CAN bus: GitHub - open-vehicle-control-system/cantastic: An Elixir library to interact with CAN/Bus via lib_socket_can · GitHub
We are looking into adding OBD support so we can allow anyone to get started with the components we created by simply plugging them to their car’s OBD plug. If there are elixir libraries to easily interact with OBD, we’d love to check them out.
mlainez
Small update, OBD2 support was just added to Cantastic.
I’ll explain how to use it in my upcoming NervesConfEU talk: A Nerves Car, and I’ll work on the cantastic documentation afterwards. It’s not a full OBD2 support but it handles the request response scheme, accepts multiple PIDs,… so it’s already good enough to get started.