Viewing elixir-ls logs / diagnostics

Maybe a silly question, but may I ask how is it that one runs the language server in a way to make logs visible, like on the sample output from the issue description to this issue on GH? (cc @dogweather @lukaszsamson)

In case it’s not easy / possible, any pointers as to how do I make neovim find the non-compiled version of server, e.g. run server manually, to make output logs (supposedly) visible in the terminal, and point my neovim to a server ran like this?

For context, I am failing to make elixir-ls work with NeoVim. In fact, I’ve installed and configured the settings, and formatting capability of LS works, however advanced features (such as jump to definition and such) are silently not working. I also don’t happen to be able to find .elixir-ls folder in my project’s root, or my home directory. (upd. I was able to locate .elixir-ls folder some time later)

I’m willing to try and debug the issues myself, but felling completely in the dark being unable to find the LS logs :frowning: I would like to be able to view some diagnostics / logs to helpfully better understand where the issue may be coming from.

Trivia: this is likely of little help, but to give context I am running a Linux machine, where elixir, elixir-ls and neovim are installed via homebrew (“Brew for Linux”).

So the output you saw would have been from the VSCode output window (View → Output) - but that’s no use to you!

Having a quick look at the readme for the first neovim plug-in that supports ElixirLS (GitHub - mhanberg/elixir.nvim: Neovim plugin for Elixir), there’s a section explaining how to access the ElixirLS output - search for OutputPanel.

1 Like

Thank you, this was very helpful! This pointer helped me locate what I was looking for. I am able to see the logs now:

For some reason I was under the impression that LS logs aren’t shipped to the client, was hence looking for ways to find them alongside the server end somewhere :man_facepalming:

To anyone interested, in neovim I:

• made sure to set:

vim.lsp.set_log_level 'info'

• then when in editor, run the following command in ex:

:LspLog

I’m glad you were able to find the output! There’s actually instructions for viewing the output in the README for the extension:

Were you looking somewhere else in the docs? Maybe we can add instructions there as well.

To make it more obvious I’ve created a PR to add a little GIF to the readme:

2 Likes

I think the issue was accessing the output in NeoVim rather than VSCode, but glad to see the GIF as I wasn’t aware of the output on VSCode for quite a while.

1 Like

Whoops, that’s a failure of reading comprehension on my part!

1 Like

I was curious about neovim, yeah :sweat_smile: But thanks for jumping in!

While at it, perhaps you would be willing to address this part of my question?

[…] how do I make neovim find the non-compiled version of server, e.g. run server manually, […] and point my neovim to a server ran like this?

So far I’ve looked through the contents DEVELOPMENT.md, but unfortunately found it lacking to provide the necessary level of detail. I’d be interested in seeing instructions like:

1. run the server like this…,
  2. then go to your client, and change it’s settings to point it to the running server like this…