infecting
Not sure what category to dump this in so sorry if this is in the wrong section. Recently I have been doing some basic research on voice chat servers because I find them interesting. However, I haven’t found a lot of material on underlying technology of voice chat servers (non webrtc), especially with elixir (most of the stuff I have seen is involving SIP phone stuff). I am looking to make some sort of voice chat using an elixir backend, but im not sure exactly what libraries could be used for such a task. I am going to give the information I have been able to find in the last hour or so and if I could get any feedback/direction that would be greatly appreciated.
- MongooseIM (this looks the most intriguing)
- Cowboy (this may be naive but it looks like they have some sort of socket data)
- Jingle (this looks like SIP though so not 100% sure. I may also be undereducated about SIP though)
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hudsonbay
But Cowboy is a web server. Think of it as Caddy, Nginx, Apache, etc. Elixir runs over Cowboy
Copser
Hey, I think you should consider using phoenix channels and do the communication over a socket. Phoenix comes with an integrated (batteries included) javascript package called phoenix-socket which you will also need to register a user to a socket channel. There are some nice tutorials on the channels documentation.
The communication should be real-time so a good place to start will be the official Webrtc documentation or maybe a better one is this tutorial which can give you some nice examples on how to approach this from the client-side.
You will also need Turn servers because the WebRTC communication will also be per to per so Xirsys can give you a free tear which can be used for development, and it’s solid.
JeyHey
For voice chat you need the following components: