VS Code Broken for Elixir?

You tried the ElixirLS extension for VS Code and gave up? This guide helps you diagnose and fix issues getting you back on the productive Elixir development path!

Article

5 Likes

There’s also a more recent fork, which should be used instead :wink:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=elixir-lsp.elixir-ls

10 Likes

I added a section to the article about the fork. However, I’ve reviewed the merged PRs and didn’t see any compelling reason why the fork should be used. Can you clarify why you feel it should be used instead?

1 Like

From what I’ve read the original fork has gotten stale so any new updates would be done on this new fork.

1 Like

Hi,

4 Likes

Ah! That make sense. The main benefit of the fork is keeping up with changes made in elixir_sense run by Marlus. That has been forked here and Marlus is involved in the fork and active development is happening.

So that is a good reason to use the Fork. Thanks!

I’ll update my post.

Thanks for the info. I also updated my other post telling people to use the ElixirLS extension in VS Code.

3 Likes

Also, to get html.eex files to work properly, you can update your settings.json file so that files.associations": { *.html.EEx: ... } is set to "HTML (EEx)" and not just “html” or “EEx”.

"files.associations": {
    "*.js": "javascript",
    "*.ex": "elixir",
    "*.exs": "elixir",
    "*.eex": "EEx",
    "*.html.EEx": "HTML (EEx)"
},

Eex seems to work in VS Code as an embedded language after that, with syntax highlighting, intellisense, and so on for both html and eex at once.

3 Likes