doomspork

doomspork

Howdy folks! @keathley asked me to kick off this thread to discuss what’s next for Wallaby. As many are aware Chris has decided to step down from being the sole maintainer of Wallaby and has asked others to step up.

There’s been some interest within the Elixir School organization to take over and maintain Wallaby as a community project but before we do anything, both Chris and I wanted to pause and check-in with the other community members.

What do you think about Elixir School taking over the project and adding new community maintainers? Should we consider a new organization altogether that could adopt future projects? If we do the latter, how do we recruit reliable maintainers? Starting a new org could slow the momentum, how do we address that?

We’d both love to hear your thoughts before a final decision is made.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

dbern

dbern

A new org sounds good. I’m not sure that’ll really slow down momentum though. GitHub allows transferring repos which will also facilitate redirects which should prevent any breakdown in existing codebases. Can you share the concerns?

What to call the new org? No clue. I’m happy with elixir-wallaby/wallaby, elixir-school/wallaby or elixir-contrib/wallaby. I’m not going to try to overthink it. Either way, even if it stays where it is, if new repo maintainers have the ability to maintain, then I’m happy.

I’m not sure who all is associated with Elixir School, but seems like good people passionate about Elixir. If those folks want to invite other maintainers on certain repos, that sounds fantastic.

doomspork

doomspork OP

Transferring a repo isn’t much of a concern. There’s some level of effort associated with coming up with a name, transferring repos, updating documentation, getting invites sent to maintainers, and establishing some kind of process by which the organization will operate.

At the end of the day we really want to do is whatever will motivate people to contribute. If that’s a fresh organization then I’m happy to create that org and help build maintainers around it. The latter being the trickier part.

dbern

dbern

Great goal. Sorry, I don’t have any firm opinions; fresh organization or not, even under the Elixir School org would be great. Learning is also done by contributing so I think it fits; but up to @keathley and the Elixir School at this point. Either way, count me in for being a community maintainer.

doomspork

doomspork OP

I’m just glad you’ve shared your opinion. Thank you!

:heart:

Wallaby aside, we’re always happy to have new contributors over at Elixir School :grin:

sublimecoder

sublimecoder

Personally I don’t have a preference to where the work happens so long as it continues to be worked on and see the love it deserves.

I don’t think it’ll slow things down too much to move to a new organization on github. Especially since the conversation about doing so is very transparent and should be easily google-able in the coming months/years.

As for finding and recruiting maintainers, the easiest way is to make it as easy and straightforward as possible to contribute, and promote contributing as a means of finding people. Usually this means some strong leadership and direction from the current core team so it’s clear where the project currently is and where it needs to go.

I’d be happy to start working on something for wallaby just not sure what the next milestone will be after the changing of the guard.

keathley

keathley

Feel free to reach out to me via email / irc / etc. I’m pretty discoverable on all of those places.

Generally I’m fine with managing these things however the community sees best.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews