AstonJ

AstonJ

Two reasons for this thread:

  1. Am genuinely interested in hearing what everyone loves about the language
  2. Perhaps we can use quotes from this thread in future marketing initiatives :003:

Feel free to use separate paragraphs for different things (might make it easier for different projects to use your quotes that way).

So, please tell us, what do YOU love about Elixir? :049:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

  1. Macros are significantly better than Erlang’s version (OhGodErlangASTHell).
  2. It runs on the BEAM.
  3. It fully inter-operates with Erlang

Perhaps we should have a thread of things in Elixir we want to see changed? ^.^

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

The big picture things I love:

  1. a sane concurrency model
  2. veteran libraries giving higher-level concurrency abstractions
  3. fault tolerance

The smaller, localized things I love:

  1. pattern matching
  2. immutability
  3. “acceptable lisp” macro system
sotojuan

sotojuan

A lot of the reasons I love it are really just what I love about Erlang.

The Elixir-specific reasons (aside from macros) are that it’s just a well designed language: Almost everything you need from a standard library is there and implemented right. The developer tools are great andthe non-Erlang abstractions and syntaxes are right.

It’s a language you can tell was done right and with care.

PragTob

PragTob

In the grand scheme of things:

  1. Great and nice commmunity that tries new things and can create new paradigms
  2. Parallelism from the ground up baked into everything and all of that with Actors :heart:
  3. Explicit over implicit (after being burned a bit in Ruby/Rails with quite some of the implicitness)
  4. A nice gateway into functional programming and OTP/reliability/distributed systems
  5. High level of trust into Jose and his views and experience about web programming

More focussed specifically on the language:

  1. Pattern matching, single feature I’d love to have in Ruby and other languages and that I accidentally code my ruby code with and then realize I don’t have the feature :frowning:
  2. Doctesting build in. I just LOVE this for coding and documentation, doesn’t get enough love imo
  3. Cool macro system as imo runtime meta programming isn’t needed so at compile time with a good system is great
  4. Nice standard library/familiar from ruby
AstonJ

AstonJ OP

Some great points already posted :023:

Just want to quickly comment on this..

Very glad you mentioned that! Totally blown away by how easy it is to test in Elixir!

I think we definitely need to scream from the roof-tops about this - I can’t see anyone not loving this aspect of Elixir :003:

yurko

yurko

big fat ones

  • pattern matching
  • pipes
  • Erlang VM with all its goodies and OTP

further niceties in no particular order

  • standard library has a lot to offer and the docs are nice
  • tools are good out of the box - project and package management, testing, doctests, Erlang’s observer
  • community is very active and friendly
  • there is Phoenix around
  • less code to write
  • macros are a nice to have, even when I try not to use them unless I really need to :slight_smile:
NobbZ

NobbZ

I really love the fact, that documentation is considered “first class” and available at runtime.

And since @AstonJ asked for a slogan… “Once you got it, it gets you”[1]

[1] Explanation: After I got at least some concepts in OTP I have problems to think in the more classical stuff. A project where I realized this was written in go. After about a week I took a step back and have seen things that try to act as Supervisors or GenServers, but still very crumpy…

christopheradams

christopheradams

What I love most about Elixir I also love about Erlang/OTP.

On top of that we get an improved core library, easy-to-navigate documentation, and best of all a standard build tool, package manager, and testing library. This, combined with OTP conventions, makes it easy to dive into any Elixir project to learn/use/share/modify.

In addition, I’ve found the Elixir core team to be very friendly, accessible, and responsive to feedback.

minhajuddin

minhajuddin

  1. Pattern matching, I love this a lot.
  2. All the features of erlang, I love how easy it is to use erlang and all its features.
  3. Love phoenix.
  4. Love the idea of being explicit, I think as programmers mature, they really don’t want surprises :slight_smile:
  5. Macros! I love them to death.
andre1sk

andre1sk

BEAM/OTP
Interop with Erlang
friendly community
pattern matching
pipes
fast pace of progress

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

AndyL
There’s heavy doomer energy on many of the forum threads. This community has traditionally been optimistic and forward thinking. Now th...
#ai
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews