What keyboard do you use?

Mechanical? Which Cherry switch? Which layout? TenKeyLess?

5 Likes

I use this mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Switches, it is a full keyboard with additional Macro keys (which I use extensively) and every key can have its own light and own macro with switchable profiles and more and it works perfectly, better than any other ā€˜advancedā€™ keyboard that Iā€™ve tried with Linux: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/k95-rgb

5 Likes

Mine is a Spanish Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR, Tactile Action with Cherry MX Brown (spanish layout has not other options) and without numerical keys. Y really hate that part of keyboard, I never used it.

And in garage I have a IBM Model M keyboard, with those lovely buckling spring.

3 Likes

Unicomp 122-key Model M.

I also have a WASD CODE w/ MX Greens, which I use when I need to setup a temporary desktop or some other situation where Iā€™m away from my main desktop and have the ability to settle in somewhere.

2 Likes

I have I think one of the first Corsair mechanical keyboards Vengeance K90 (Cherry MX Red mechanical key switches).
It works till now. So quality / durability is perfect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is mine too, I love it, fantastic Linux open source drivers too! ^.^

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently using a Happy Hacking Keyboard. I love the Topre Electrostatic Capacitive Key Switches.

4 Likes

New Surface Ergonomic Keyboard

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never been able to stand one of those split keyboards. When I type my hands fly all over, exceeding 120wpm back in school with no errors. Although my hands rest in the ā€˜home positionā€™, once I start typing my fingers go to where-ever they are expected to go based on distance, regardless of their order, then I just make sure to control the order and continue moving. Those split keyboards slow me *way*the*heck*down*! Iā€™m not sure how anyone could really stand using them.

Thus Iā€™m curious, what benefit do they bring you? Iā€™ve never heard anyone describe what its use actually is?

5 Likes

I canā€™t speak for @mkunikow, but I use the same keyboard and it helps with wrist pain.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have any wrist pains etc. so all I need from keyboard is just few things: low key profile (like laptop keyboard), backslash somewhere near the ENTER key, left CTRL on far left (hate it when far left is FN key on some laptops), keys with backlight (really helps, when you want to write something with just one hand in the dark)

2 Likes

I have to have a split keyboard due to suffering a bit of rsi and I currently just have a boring old Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard.

However I am debating on whether or not to pre-order the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard.

3 Likes

Heh, interesting though I tend to like to press so many keys at once that I like dedicated F# keys and numpad as well as I like having my 21 extra programmable keys, all of which are used. ^.^

Iā€™ll keep it in mind though, interestingā€¦

1 Like

If I remember correctly the keyboard has multiple key map layers used for various things and I believe they were configurable to allow for this kind of thing. I remember seeing a demo of someone using it to control their mouse cursor for example.

1 Like

It is but that swapping would slow me down, Iā€™m often pressing upwards of 6 keys simultaneously as I type with just enough temporal spacing to work properlyā€¦ :-/

1 Like

Whoa, I just read the Hand Movements Minimized sections. They picture hand movement like something bad, IMHO they better in spreading FUD than Microsoft at itā€™s best days :smiley: Really, they donā€™t say straight that moving your hands in bad, but on subconscious level you start to wonder: "Hmmā€¦ if the emphasize the minimized hand movements, maybe I move my hands too much, maybe itā€™s really bad for meā€¦ :thinking: ". Really precious. Maybe I move my body too much? :thinking: Maybe I should move my fat ass less, make it sit on my chair more? :thinking: Sorry couldnā€™t help it :wink:

3 Likes

For some reason I just have this image of a crazy coding octopus in the middle of a mad coding session :smile:

Lol made chuckle! I canā€™t say I have read much of their docs yet, Iā€™ve just seen some videos and had a quick scan of the features. You raise some good points there!

2 Likes

uhm interesting, just the left key cluster addon would be enough to interest me. And they have Cherry MX Clear switch oh myā€¦

The goal for next month is to get a WASD keyboard, full, Canadian QuƩbec QWERTY in MX clear.

1 Like

FWIW, those MS ergo keyboards have eliminated RSI pain in the wrists for me. Typing at a ā€œstandardā€ keyboard for only a few minutes inflames my joints.

Oddly enough the laptop keyboard doesnā€™t trigger the pain either. I think itā€™s because itā€™s small enough that I can still keep the same angles in arms/wrists.

On the other hand I donā€™t get the whole MX switch thing. I tried one and it was ehā€¦

1 Like

What angle is that? I type fairly weird compared to most people (home row is not so much for me, my fingers just kind of fling about to hit whatever key is closest to a given finger based on the placement of where the hand is as the hand moves around to bunch keys as much as possible), and Iā€™m curious if my angle helps prevent it in me or somethingā€¦

Oh they are glorious! That satisfying click you feel in your finger, knowing exactly when the key was pressedā€¦

1 Like