What keyboard do you use?

@bbense I am exactly the same. A company that I previously worked at started me off with a straight keyboard and after a few weeks I could barely type. However I can use my laptop at home for hours on end regularly without issue.

I also know a guy that (IIRC) suffered carpel tunnel and now uses one of these to prevent any issues, but can use a laptop just fine.

I have always assumed the difference with a laptop keyboard is because my hands are positioned more on top of the keyboard instead of reaching onto something thatā€™s higher than the surface my wrists are resting on.

1 Like

das keyboard model S ultimate, without key cap inscriptions. itā€™s great to avoid looking your hands :smiley:

1 Like

kinesis classic mpc, it helped save my carrer, i cant type on a normal flat kb anymore

3 Likes

WASD CODE keybaord with numeric pad. US QWERTY layout
MX Clear for work (less noisy). Blue for Home

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

1 Like

Iā€™m using a Das Keyboard 4 professional with Cherry MX Blue switches

http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional/

1 Like

+1 to the Kinesis Advantage. It saved my wrists. Phoenix may not exist without it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I would love to have these skills :smiley: (from ghost in the shell)

6 Likes

I love the Apple keyboards personally. Itā€™s a great keyboard for the price even though Iā€™m on a Dell laptop running Fedora.

1 Like

Another +1 for me. Made a huge difference with my RSI issues. Took some time getting productive with it. Spend a lot of time doing their training exercises. It paid off.

1 Like

I have two Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid-i keyboards, just because theyā€™re the only TKL MX Brown keyboards I could get my hands on domestically. I compared them with a Filco Majestouch and it compared favourably, despite itā€™s silly gaming name :slight_smile: I would love to try something with MX Clear switches sometime, though!

1 Like

I have a Pok3r with clear MX for sale :smile: Too heavy for me to be honest. I use a Pok3r with blue switches at the moment. I am thinking about pulling out the Ergodox (brown switches) I built 1.5 years ago though :thinking:

1 Like

Until yesterday I used my aged Logitech G19, first generation (and as it is still a good keyboard, Iā€™ll replace my cherry in the office with it).

But my co workers gave me yesterday a Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum as a birthday present.

I can type on it very well, still, it feels as if I had to relearn typing, as keypositions and their touch are slightly different than on the old one.

If it were me, I hadnā€™t bought a new keyboard yet, because I usually insist on testing a keyboard first and most keyboards (especially mechanic ones) either need to much force when hitting the keys, or they are much to loud. The G910 was a blind buy by my coworkers as they knew I was happy with my G19 and they hoped, that I will be with its successor as well.

So far they are right :wink:

3 Likes

They allow you to type with less wrist/forearm rotation, which helps with the source of some of the most common RSI issues. (The most neutral position for your hands is parallel to your body.)

However, they also require more extension/flexion movement in the fingers reaching from row to row, which exacerbates some RSI issuesā€“I canā€™t stand using one for very long because of that.

There are 3 factors that can help with RSI:

• less rotation in the wrist
  • less extension for the fingers
  • low-force & smooth keys

Which brings me to my keyboard :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm, interesting, so itā€™s a "test to see if it worksā€™ kind of thing.

Wow, quite a unique design there!

1 Like

I think Chris has one too :003:

Yes. The MS style ones really donā€™t work for me. The Kinesis one addresses all 3 issues instead of just one.

3 Likes

After trying out Razer and a few Chinese keyboards (which were surprisingly good mechanical AND waterproof pieces of hardware!), I finally settled for Logitech G600 Orion Brown. Why:

• Brown switches are the quietest among all mechanicals.
  • Good, neutral lighting, only one color (white), and enough brightness settings to make it good for any lighting around you.
  • Logitechā€™s software is pretty good and allows for customization and macros (which I did not ever need).
  • Hardware volume roller! I did not know how much I needed that until I had it.
  • Gaming lock key (disables the Windows key, and optionally Alt-Tab). I was cringing at that at first but now use it almost any time I game.
  • Splash-resistant. Not entirely waterproof like the blue Cherry MX switch Chinese keyboards I used but I didnā€™t need to swap it out when spilling some water or a drink on it.

The keyboard is simple, non-pretentious, and gets the job done surprisingly well. Ever since I had it I feel one with my PC. :slight_smile:

Only downside: key caps pop out easily. I dropped it lately and had to put back at least 10 key caps. But this as an advantage as well: the keyboard is VERY easy to clean.

Why I gave up on Razer:

• Switches are not that durable. Had two high-end Razer keyboards, both started to have keys failing around the 13-14 month mark.
  • Not even splash resistant. Spilling a small amount of water meant I had to swap it out for a spare, for no less than 6 hours.
  • Harder to clean than most keyboards I had.
  • Heavy. Not that this is a big concern but the bulkiness and heavy weight did not help it in being durable so I guess it was just a marketing stunt to make people feel like the product is durable while it clearly is not.

Why I gave up on Chinese blue Cherry switch keyboards:

• Lights started failing quickly (6-7 months).
  • Blue Cherry switches are loud as hell.

ā€¦And thatā€™s it. If I was into Blue Cherry and if I did not care about 2-3 keys having a dimmer light, they would be the PERFECT keyboards. Costed something like $60 and I was literally pouring water on them and they kept working. Dropped both at least 5 times each, zero keys fell off. It felt like you could murder someone with those things and then still keep working with them. :smiley:

3 Likes

No backlight, no buy. :frowning: I work mostly the nights so thereā€™s that.

2 Likes

I use this: HyperX Alloy Elite

With the MX Cherry Blues and I love it. I recently split an entire coffee and it was fine after some cleaning.

2 Likes

Yeah, definitively this! This is the main reason why I replace the cherry-keyboard in the office with my G19.

I need the constant glow at the rim of my eyes to be able to find the keyboard at all, even during daylight. I have constantly to look down if the keyboard has no backlight, checking that it is still there.

This is not only a criteria when I choose a keyboard, but for laptops as well, I wouldnā€™t buy one, that is missing keyboard backlight, even if it were a i9 with 30ish cores and 3-digits of RAMā€¦ No light, no buyā€¦

2 Likes