What keyboard do you use?

Welcome to the UHK family! :slight_smile:

I just posted this on Twitter, maybe I should slow down a bit nowā€¦ https://twitter.com/AmNicd/status/1106258566288207872

4 Likes

I canā€™t wait to buy new key caps. Iā€™m also excited about the modules the uhk has to offer.

1 Like

ErgoDox announced the Planck EZ today. Iā€™ve pre-ordered one to make my MacBook more usable and Iā€™m waiting to hear if it works with the iPad Pro too (the this thread on Twitter).

5 Likes

ok so today i got my ergodox ez shine with the blank keys. God it is hard ahah. I was pretty fast before on my sculpt but clearly knew nothing of touch typing. Typing this is like giving birth. So iā€™m doing some exercises on typing club, planning to do some every day to learn to proper touch type and become productive with the EZ. Still I though Iā€™d ask ergodox users if they have any tips/ tricks or just words of encouragement :wink: I honestly didnā€™t expect it to be this hard.

Also anyone has some good sites to buy sculpted key caps or just keycaps? Iā€™m based in the UK.

Thank you :slight_smile:

P.S.
Half an hour laterā€¦ finished typing

3 Likes

I donā€™t have an ergodox, but I do touch type. Iā€™m not a good touch typist, but simply being able to confidently hit the right letters with the right fingers without looking is a massive boon, and it works out faster and better in the long run. Well worth sticking with the exercises and through the slow period. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m still bad at the number row, and I donā€™t like the amount of movement required to get to it. Iā€™m hoping I can configure the home row to be numbers with a modifier key. (Any advice on how to achieve this with a standard keyboard in Linux welcome.)

3 Likes

Ergodox EZ, Cherry MX Browns, Dvorak layout.

The thing I like most about having a programmable keyboard is that I can put {}[]() and | near the home row (the ā€˜Aā€™ key is also a modifier that switches to that layer when you hold it down). It is by far the most productive keyboard I have ever typed on.

I love it that you can set the Auto Shift Timeout on the keyboard through the configurator.

This controls how long you have to hold a key before you get the shifted state. Obviously, this is different for everyone. For most people, a setting of 135 to 150 works great. However, one should start with a value of at least 175, which is the default value. Then work down from there. The idea is to have the shortest time required to get the shifted state without having false positives.

My configuration: Oryx: The ZSA Keyboard Configurator

Edit: The only ā€œissueā€ for me is that the wires make it a little troublesome at work because we switch pairs regularly.

3 Likes

The best thing I can probably say is that it does get easier and in addition to learning to touch type properly a lot of it is to do with muscle memory and retraining your hands where keys are. There are lots of shortcuts I use where I couldnā€™t tell you the keys I press and replied completely on memory and re-learning those was the hardest.

Also play with the configurator and make lots of incremental changes. If a keyā€™s position isnā€™t working for you change it and keep changing them until you get comfortable.

Itā€™s not an easy process and itā€™s not fast (it took me several weeks before typing on a ā€˜normalā€™ keyboard felt strange) but it is worth it. I persevered on the basis that Iā€™s spent a lot on the keyboard so I wasnā€™t going to give up easily.

2 Likes

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g (Black) rockz my office.

3 Likes

Well if you run X and want it changed there then xmodmap makes that trivial. Or if you want to change it in a given virtterm then dumpkeys/showkeys/loadkeys works. In a GUI you can also define your own keyboard mapping (like dvorak or so, but your own). Otherwise a kernel driver to do it system-wide isnā€™t too hard to write though definitely non-trivial?

2 Likes

Touch typing will make all the difference when learning to type on the ergodox. IMO any ortholinear layout is easier to learn than the staggered layout that is the mainstay on keyboards today, just because the layout is consistent where a staggered keyboard makes it a little difficult to reach the top and bottom row keys that further away from the fingers. I would say practice no longer than 15 minute blocks. I didnā€™t have to relearn to touch type on my ergodox when I got since I touch type, but I remember that 15 minute blocks were really effective for muscle memory.

Since you are based in the UK, https://candykeys.com/category:keycaps is probably you best bet. I have not ordered from them since Iā€™m in the US, but they seem to be solid.

3 Likes

Just an update, I am using Ultimate Hacking Keyboard too now. I donā€™t think thereā€™s ever coming back from this one. I am super happy, although itā€™s my first month in only.

Works great in my summer office!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Kinesis Ergo Advantage keyboards for over 15 years now.

Pros (for me):

• split keyboard ā€“ ulnar deviation was crushing my wrists
  • orthogonal keys ā€“ I can still use staggered but itā€™s frustrating
  • thumb keys
  • key remap ā€“ Iā€™m a lefty on the spacebar
  • palm pads

Cons:

• the rubberized function keys can be touchy and register multiple presses
  • kinda pricey

EDIT: I failed to mention that there are lots of cool keyboard ideas over on https://geekhack.org .

3 Likes

I canā€™t be the only one whoā€™s curious about your summer office - please tell us more - looks like a unique setup :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha, yeah it is just me, computer, pheasants and occasionally a moose.

10 Likes

Ah thatā€™s very cool - nice to see you getting plenty of fresh air :023:

1 Like

Starting to enjoy this setup with the Ergodox at its centre :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Woo! Another portrait screen user!! ^.^

3 Likes

Elixir Forum on the leftā€¦

but C++ on the rightā€¦

Cā€™mon man!!

Just kidding, that is a neat setup. :grin:

3 Likes

I find it so much better for the type of work i do! Plus on this setup i donā€™t consume any media so why not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Worse it is c++, Qt, and OpenGL. :wink:

Unfortunately at the moment my research is in volume rendering so no elixir for a while, but since I have no social media, I do check the elixir forum daily as my first thing, even before emails, for a fix :):slight_smile:

4 Likes