kornel_gora

kornel_gora

Hi, what type of apps I can make with elixir? Can I make ai, cloud computing solution with elixir?? I want start = learning this language but I need know what can I make with it.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Elixir is not suited for heavy lifting. If you want to do a ton of calculations – like in Deep Learning – you are better off using the more native solutions in C++, Go, Rust, Java even.

However, Elixir is practically extremely well-suited for everything else. It excels in utilizing all CPU cores and distributing work transparently on a single node. It does require a bit more effort to go multi-computer but it’s IMO still much quicker than many other languages.

(EDIT: To clarify on raw performance, you should still keep in mind that Elixir is much faster than languages like PHP, Python or Ruby; goes anywhere from 10x to 500x depending on frameworks and techniques used. So don’t count out Elixir out for any processing; but if you really need the last cent of value out of a rented resource for heavy-duty number crunching, definitely go for Go, Rust, OCaml or, if your life is not dear to you, C++)

Elixir has a very terse syntax and has building blocks of very high quality (like Task.async_stream or Enum.map_reduce). Tasks that took me 100 lines of code in Java and 40-50 in Ruby, routinely take only 5-10 lines of code in Elixir. This helps people to quickly parse each other’s code and thus helps with maintenance and teamwork a lot. It also helps the programmers to not forget what were they doing at earlier phases of the project.

Elixir is dynamically typed but with typespecs (think of them as opt-in typing contracts) and pattern-matching you can make it much stricter than Go or Java whose “strict” typing is technically optional and people end up making a lot of code that only knows what it works with at runtime, and thus their speed advantage vanishes and they end up being as slow as PHP or even Ruby.

It’s hard to convey the exact positives until you truly start learning it.

But I think it’s gonna be the best if you give several examples of projects you would like to do with Elixir and we can tell you honestly if the language is a good choice for them.

ConnorRigby

ConnorRigby

Nerves Core Team

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

AstonJ

AstonJ

You might find this thread interesting:

:003:

From the same thread:

:003:

Seriously though, Elixir is a pretty versatile language and is especially suited things where you need to do lots and lots of things concurrently. What I’ve said about Elixir previously…

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews