2 Likes

Python
Erlang
Golang
Nim

1 Like

C, Elm, Haskell, Nim

1 Like

My plans for 2016 include learning Elixir and try Elm, but just moment ago I bumped into Crystal language which also comes with web framework kemal - maybe I will leave it as the 3rd one to look at :wink:

2 Likes

While I really like the idea of Crystal, one of the biggest downsides for me is, that there is still no Windows-Support, which I do have using Elixir and Erlang.

Also most of my “work” right now during studying goes into the direction of distributed computing. In this field E&E are much better candidates than Crystal or Ruby.

One thing I really miss is something which would transpile Elixir-like code into Javascript and can get integrated into Phoenix-Apps easily. Until someone does serve this, I’ll stick with the plan to learn elm until the end of the year.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: ElixirScript - Elixir to Javascript transpiler

For those interested in Crystal and are from a Ruby background, a free ebook has just come out: http://www.crystalforrubyists.com

4 Likes

Predominantly use:

• PHP
  • Elixir

Begrudgingly use:

• C
  • JavaScript
  • Java

Aim to at least become familiar with:

• Go
  • Red
  • Rust
  • OCaml
2 Likes

Why Red and OCaml @tpunt? :slight_smile:

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Elixir everywhere?

No reason in particular. Just that every developer I’ve spoken to who has used OCaml seems to have really enjoyed it, so it’s something I’d like to look into to see what all the fuss is about. As for Red, it just seems like an interesting and upcoming language that I’d like to try out - no more, no less :wink:

2 Likes

Erlang
Elm
Haskell
Scala

4 Likes

I want functional all the things!

• Elm
  • Haskell
  • Clojure

… Except where I can’t functional the things.

• Rust
  • Go

EDIT: Oooo Futhark looks cool! Functional language targeting GPU

5 Likes
  • elm
  • idris
  • rust
4 Likes

I just read about Futhark yesterday. It looks awesome and I really like the use of GPU’s.

2 Likes

I am all about Elixir these days. I use Elm once in a while.

I am interested in:
Haskell for the pure functions;
Elisp for configuring my editor, and lisp in general for everything is an expression;
Rust for something I could build realtime systems in;
Pony because everyone seems to talk about it;
Julia because I want to get more into math.

I guess it is more about the paradigms. One of the first Erlang talks I attended was by Torben Hoffman and he started out with the question: «Who in this room agree to the notion that one should use the right tool for the job»; everybody raised their hand, and he continued «put down your hand if you know less than three programming languages that you are equally confident programming in», only few people kept their hand up. That was when I seriously started browsing for something else than Node.js :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m interested in the following:

Kotlin
Javascript Framework: (Vue.js, Meteor)
Swift
Elm
and get stronger in Python

1 Like

Interested and actively doing something:

• Ruby: My daily work is done with this so I try to keep up here. Also my main weapon now so… :wink:
  • Elixir: I’m adding this to my toolbelt as a natural next step. Also I’m starting to be interested in distributed systems and this seems a nice language.

Interested although doing less:

• Clojure: There are a ton of different interesting libraries here to learn a ton of concepts.
  • Elm: Seems like a really interesting paradigm.

Interested but I don’t have enough attention:

• Rust
  • Haskell
  • Idris
1 Like

+1. At the very least, learn how to convert Erlang to Elixir, which is not hard. That way, you would have access to all the Erlang books.

3 Likes

Pearl
Ruby
Java :slight_smile:

2 Likes