Currently learning and interested in:

• Phoenix/Elixir
  • Erlang
  • Elm

Using at work:

• Coldfusion (moving to .NET)
  • JS
2 Likes

How are you finding the jump from Erlang to Elixir Dina?

I havenā€™t switched back and forth too much. I just decided to start with Erlang first. Jumping into Elixir after Erlang was okā€¦at least I was already familiar with some of the concepts in Elixir after reading through the Erlang book. There were definitely some syntax changes to get used to (anon functions, use of the ^pin tag in Elixir, not having to use the ā€œ.ā€ to end ā€“ lots of things).

Using head|tail, pattern matching and recursion was new to me, but I picked that up in the Erlang book initially. I just thought it would be good to start with knowing a little about the constructs that Elixir was based on. At least I feel like if I open an .erl file itā€™s not totally foreign to me!

I think I probably want to go back and re-read some of Programming Erlang again at this point. I feel like it would make more sense to me than the first time around. Or, at least more OTP stuff.

3 Likes

Is that the route you would recommend? Or in hindsight do you think it might have been better/easier to learn Elixir first then Erlang. Also, how important do you think it is to learn Erlang?

I think a lot of people say learn Elixir first because itā€™s more approachable (and then learn Erlang along the way). Iā€™m not sure if I chose the best way to do it starting with Erlang ā€“ it worked for me, but may not work for everyone.

Thereā€™s some discussion of which path is better on HN, here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9603627

3 Likes

Thanks - I wasnā€™t aware that Joeā€™s book was published by Pragprog - that makes it a must-buy for me! Iā€™m a huge fan of both Joe and Pragprog :003:

Iā€™ve added it to my wishlist, but I will probably only read it after I learn Elixirā€¦ cos I donā€™t think I am smart enough for Erlang :lol:

2 Likes

I learned Erlang several years ago (before there even was Elixir). The syntax is a little odd, but I never really found it unapproachable. I donā€™t think you need to learn it first. Understanding OTP is the big win for Erlang/Elixir.

2 Likes

All the Eā€™s

• Elm
  • Elixir
  • Erlang
3 Likes

Ruby, Python, ML and Haxe

1 Like

Go, JavaScript

1 Like

JavaScript, ELM

1 Like

Elm
Erlang
Lisp

1 Like

Python
Javascript

1 Like

Rust and Haskell.

4 Likes

Elixir and learn rust in 2016

2 Likes

Python
Erlang
Golang
Nim

1 Like

C, Elm, Haskell, Nim

1 Like

My plans for 2016 include learning Elixir and try Elm, but just moment ago I bumped into Crystal language which also comes with web framework kemal - maybe I will leave it as the 3rd one to look at :wink:

2 Likes

While I really like the idea of Crystal, one of the biggest downsides for me is, that there is still no Windows-Support, which I do have using Elixir and Erlang.

Also most of my ā€œworkā€ right now during studying goes into the direction of distributed computing. In this field E&E are much better candidates than Crystal or Ruby.

One thing I really miss is something which would transpile Elixir-like code into Javascript and can get integrated into Phoenix-Apps easily. Until someone does serve this, Iā€™ll stick with the plan to learn elm until the end of the year.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: ElixirScript - Elixir to Javascript transpiler